Moment killer strolls back to supermarket to attack father in row over a queue jump

A killer who fatally attacked a father in a Sainsbury’s supermarket after a row over queue jumping has been jailed for just five years.

Demiesh Williams, 30, was today sentenced to five years and three months in prison following the death of Andrew Clark, who was hailed as a ‘hard-working family man‘.

The 43-year-old victim died from his injuries after Williams struck him with an open palm following an argument at a supermarket in Beckenham, south-east London – with chilling footage showing him strolling back into the store to carry out the assault.

Woolwich Crown Court heard Mr Clark had challenged the defendant when he tried to queue jump at the tills.

Bus driver Williams then left the shop and went to a car but, as seen on CCTV, decided to go back and confront Mr Clark.

The court was told the attacker then slapped his victim with an open hand, causing him to fall to the ground.

Mr Clark died three days later of his injuries, after being declared brain dead.

Williams later pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was jailed this morning.

Demiesh Williams, 30, was today sentenced to five years and three months in prison over the death of Andrew Clark (pictured), who was hailed as a ‘hard-working family man’.

Demiesh Williams is seen outside at the Sainsbury’s store in Beckenham, south-east London

Demiesh Williams (pictured), 30, was today sentenced to five years and three months in prison over the death of Andrew Clark

Judge Andrew Lees said: ‘Andrew Clark was 43 at the time of his death. He was a hard-working family man.

‘I have heard heartfelt statements read to the court by Andrew’s wife and his sister. What the family said in court brings home the magnitude of what has happened and the devastating loss and consequences of your actions.

‘The family are dealing with unimaginable grief from which recovery is unlikely to ever be complete. By all accounts Andrew Clark was much loved, much respected, and will be much missed, and it should never have happened.’

He told the defendant: ‘Demiesh Williams, for the manslaughter of Andrew Clark the sentence of the court is five years and three months.

‘You will serve up to two thirds of that sentence in prison thereafter you will be released subject to licence conditions. If you breach your licence conditions you will be recalled to prison.’

Mr Clark’s 14-year-old daughter previously told Williams that though he would one day walk free, he had ‘destroyed’ her family in the ‘cruellest way possible’.

In a statement read to the court by her aunt, she said: ‘My dad was not just my dad. He was my best friend. We did everything together.’

She addressed the killer, saying: ‘You did this to my dad. My dad was the most generous man I know. I don’t want to live my life without him.

Williams (pictured) is seen here entering the Sainsbury’s in Beckenham, south-east London

‘You got to keep your family, while you destroyed mine in the cruellest way.’

And Mr Clark’s wife Cairistine read her impact statement in court, asking the killer: ‘What type of man choses to kill rather than simply walking away?

‘You are a coward. You are a killer. You are a monster.’

The court heard Mr Clark, a Newcastle United fan, had watched his club’s Carabao Cup victory on March 16 with his family at home in Beckenham, south-east London.

Alistair Richardson, prosecuting, told the court the victim and his wife went to the Sainsbury’s near their home to buy some food for the following day after the match.

Mrs Clark then found her husband arguing with Williams at the tills, it was said.

Witnesses described seeing Williams walk to his parked car, get something out, and return to the store with a face covering on as Mr Clark was leaving.

Mr Richardson continued: ‘Mrs Clark saw the defendant coming towards her husband. He was striding with intent – striding towards him.

Mr Clark, 43, was beaten outside Sainsbury’s in Beckenham, south-east London, by Demiesh Williams, 30, who smacked him with an open palm 

‘He had a face covering on. He hit Mr Clark on the side of his head. All she could hear was the noise.

‘He did not try to break his fall or anything. He was just knocked out.’

Mr Richardson added that an experienced CCTV officer viewed the footage of the attack and deemed it a ‘slap’ with an ‘open hand’ rather than a punch.

Another witness, using a nearby cash machine, said he heard a ‘crack’ as Mr Clark’s head hit the floor, followed by Williams saying: ‘I told you to f****** apologise’.

Mr Clark was rushed to the hospital but died three days later from a ‘catastrophic’ brain injury.

Williams, a father of three, was later arrested at a house in Croydon, south London, and charged two days later.

He denied murder but later admitted manslaughter at Woolwich Crown Court. He will serve two thirds of the five years and three months before he is released on licence.

Afterwards, Mr Clark’s family said today in a statement: ‘Today’s sentence brings some degree of closure after an unimaginably painful nine months for our family.

‘Andrew’s loss has had a profound impact on each of us and we continue to live with the consequences of his absence every day

‘For us as a family this prosecution has exposed serious shortcomings within our outdated justice system.

‘Victims are too often left without the protection, transparency and fairness they deserve.

‘An archaic legal framework cannot meet the demands of modern society nor the needs of victims, their families, friends and wider communities.

‘Over-crowded and underfunded prisons place pressure on courts to sentence based on capacity rather than justice.

‘Without genuine accountability, true justice and meaningful reform, reoffending will continue and many more families may face the same devastation we have.

‘Andrew will always be remembered for his kindness, generosity, humour and love.’

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    A California father-of-three was abducted from his home and murdered by his own boss, officials claimed, with his brutal killing captured on video.  Shukur Aikebaer, 60, was nabbed outside his…

    Moment armed teen levels gun to the back of several shoppers’ HEADS before opening fire in busy Maryland mall captured in harrowing video

    See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source By ALEX HAMMER, US MEDIA CORRESPONDENT Published: 00:20 EDT, 1 August 2026 | Updated: 00:55 EDT, 1…

    You Missed

    Dramatic rescues unfold at popular swimming spot as TWO more people are injured just days after teen crashed into rocks while cliff jumping

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 9 views
    Dramatic rescues unfold at popular swimming spot as TWO more people are injured just days after teen crashed into rocks while cliff jumping

    Pub rallies around mother-of-two fighting for life after car ploughed into her at a pedestrian crossing

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 7 views
    Pub rallies around mother-of-two fighting for life after car ploughed into her at a pedestrian crossing

    FIFA hits back at international revolt over Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell World Cup shares

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 9 views
    FIFA hits back at international revolt over Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell World Cup shares

    Terrifying death threats sent to friend of Nolan Wells as California man taken into custody on federal charges

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 10 views
    Terrifying death threats sent to friend of Nolan Wells as California man taken into custody on federal charges

    Hamas agrees to ‘complete disarmament’ in Gaza after Trump reveals historic deal for peace in Middle East

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 7 views
    Hamas agrees to ‘complete disarmament’ in Gaza after Trump reveals historic deal for peace in Middle East

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout