Moment armed teen levels gun to the back of several shoppers’ HEADS before opening fire in busy Maryland mall captured in harrowing video

By ALEX HAMMER, US MEDIA CORRESPONDENT

Published: | Updated:

Frightening footage appears to show the moment when a 17-year-old boy allegedly stood up and pointed a gun at the back of several young shoppers before pulling the trigger inside of a crowded mall. 

The shooting took place inside the Westfield Wheaton mall in Maryland on Friday around 6pm ET, according to Montgomery County police. The suspect pulled out a gun. A 13-year-old male suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. 

A TikTok user with the handle @anasalzaer posted the clip around 9pm ET.

The hall seen in the video matches images and footage of the mall’s interior.

The frightening scene that played out also matches descriptions from Montgomery County Police Department officers of the incident. 

Police responded to the shooting after receiving reports of shots fired, Montgomery County Police Commander David Smith said in an update.

A male mall-goer is seen rising out of seating area in the footage, before firing two shots from a handgun.

The shots appeared to be directed at a group of at least three who had just passed the gunman.

The shooting took place at Westfield Wheaton mall in Maryland on Friday around 6pm ET, according to Montgomery County police. Footage circulating on social media appears to show the moment the shots rang out

The gunman is then seen fleeing in the footage, with the group he appeared to be waiting for now off-screen. 

Others were seen frantically fleeing as the shots rang out.

Commenters claimed to see relatives amongst those escaping.

‘I was at the food court,’ one person wrote – to which one user said they had been too and ‘saw everyone running.’

‘I can literally see my sister in this footage, she’s the one in the black tank top and jeans, what a close call,’ wrote someone else.

The Daily Mail has reached out to the poster, as well as the Montgomery County police department, for more information.

Montgomery County Police Commander Smith offered a preliminary update Friday evening – one that coincided with the clip very closely. 

‘Upon arrival, officers learned the following – there is a 17 year-old suspect, who we currently have in custody,’ he said.

A 17-year-old suspect was arrested and disarmed by an armed security officer near the Dick’s Sporting Goods seen here

Montgomery County Police Commander David Smith’s description of the shooting matched much of what was seen in the footage. The incident remains under investigation and the victim is in stabile condition

‘The 17-year-old suspect was in the area of the Cinnabon, which is inside the lower level here. For reasons still under investigation that we don’t know, the 17-year-old stood up from a seated position there, produced a handgun, and fired several rounds.

‘One of those rounds struck a victim,’ Smith continued, confirming the victim was ‘a 13-year-old male.’

‘The victim is in stable condition, he was struck in the leg,’ Commander Smith said. ‘That victim has been transported to an area hospital, as I said, in stable condition.’

Smith added that ‘after the shooting, the suspect then fled.’

The suspect then encountered an armed security officer who ordered the teen to the ground and was able to hold him there until police officers arrived, according to the commander.

Police took the suspect into custody and recovered the firearm from the scene, Smith said.

No one else was injured. The Montgomery County Police Department is currently investigating the incident. The suspect and victim have not been named, as of 12am Saturday.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    A California father-of-three was abducted from his home and murdered by his own boss, officials claimed, with his brutal killing captured on video.  Shukur Aikebaer, 60, was nabbed outside his…

    Moment ‘passengers run across tarmac in desperate bid to catch flight’ before they are escorted away

    See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source By OLIVIA ALLHUSEN, FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER Published: 20:55 EDT, 8 August 2026 | Updated: 21:12 EDT, 8…

    You Missed

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran