Christian group says all abductees taken in Nigeria’s Kurmin Wali released

Nigerian government yet to confirm that 166 villagers and churchgoers who were kidnapped last month are now back home.

All 166 people who were kidnapped during an attack on a village and churches in Kurmin Wali in northern Nigeria’s Kaduna State last month have been released, the ⁠Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said.

Reverend John Hayab, chairman of the northern chapter of CAN, said on Thursday that every abducted worshipper had now returned, without giving details on whether a ransom was paid or how the release was secured, the Reuters news agency reported.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

It said CAN leader in ⁠Kaduna, Reverend Caleb Maaji, also confirmed the release, saying he had just returned from the government house in Kaduna, where the governor is set to receive the worshippers.

“The stage is set for them to be brought … His Excellency will meet with them. This is a result of ‌the prayers we have offered,” he said.

Nigerian government officials have yet to comment publicly on the release.

However, Nigerian media reports cited Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, confirming the return of 82 of those who were kidnapped.

On the morning of January 18, gunmen known locally as bandits arrived in Kurmin Wali in numbers, armed with AK47 rifles.

They broke down doors and ordered people out of their homes and the village’s three churches, residents told Al Jazeera at the time.

The gunmen abducted 177 people, taking them into the forest, but 11 escaped their captors.

Initially, Kaduna State officials denied that an attack had occurred. Only two days later did government officials admit that an “abduction” had taken place, promising to help secure the villagers’ return.

The village chief told Al Jazeera’s Ahmed Idris at the time that the kidnappers accused the community of taking 10 motorcycles they had hidden in the bush, and demanded their return in exchange for the return of the villagers.

The assault on the village and churches in Kaduna was ‌among the latest in a string of mass abductions that have intensified pressure ‌on the Nigerian government.

Nigeria has ⁠also faced scrutiny from United States President Donald Trump, who has accused the country of failing to stop the persecution of Christians.

US forces ‌struck what they described as “terrorist” targets on December 25.

Abuja says it is working with Washington to improve security and denies any systematic persecution of Christians.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Group who kidnapped and tortured man by sexually assaulting and force-feeding him are jailed

    Do you have a story? Email lettice.bromovsky@dailymail.co.uk   By LETTICE BROMOVSKY, NEWS REPORTER Published: 16:26 EDT, 24 February 2026 | Updated: 22:15 EDT, 24 February 2026 A gang who kidnapped a…

    Prada Group says it has purchased fashion rival Versace in a deal worth nearly $1.4 billion

    MILAN — The Prada Group announced Tuesday that it has officially purchased Milan fashion rival Versace in a 1.25 billion euro (nearly $1.4 billion) deal that puts the fashion house…

    You Missed

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war