Two workers killed in explosion at Cobar mine

By KYLIE STEVENS, SENIOR BREAKING NEWS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA

Published: | Updated:

Two workers have been killed and another injured in a horror explosion at an underground mine in outback NSW.

Emergency responders were called to the Endeavor Mine near Cobar, in the state’s far west, at about 3.45am on Tuesday following reports two people had been critically injured in a workplace incident.

Police arrived at the scene and were advised that a man aged in his 60s had died in the underground blast.

Two female workers aged in their 20s were transported to the surface, but one was unable to be revived.

Paramedics stabilised the condition of the second woman, who suffered from hearing damage and shock.

She has since been airlifted by the Toll rescue helicopter to Orange Hospital, which is 483km away.

Emergency services remain at the scene with police scheduled to give an update on Tuesday afternoon. 

It’s understood all three workers are locals in the mining town.

The sole survivor of an underground mine explosion in Cobar was airlifted to Orange Hospital

A man and woman were killed in an underground explosion at Endeavor Mine near Cobar

Police will prepare a report for the coroner and assist specialists from the NSW Resources Regulator with their investigation.

Cobar Shire mayor Jarrod Marsden described the incident as ‘absolutely tragic’.

‘The most valuable thing in a mine are the miners, and two families won’t see their loved ones again,’ he said.

NSW Natural Resources Minister Courtney Houssos and Premier Chris Minns extended their deepest condolences to the victims’ families, friends and colleagues.

‘This is a heartbreaking day for the Cobar community, and will be felt across the entire mining industry,’ a joint statement read.

‘The number one priority in any mine must be safety. Everyone who goes to work has the right to come home.

‘While safety protocols and procedures have greatly improved in mining, these deaths are a sobering reminder of why we need to always remain vigilant to protect workers.’

Daily Mail has contacted the mine’s operator Polymetals and the NSW Resources Regulator for comment.

The sole survivor suffered hearing damage and shock in the underground explosion

One of two female miners aged in their 20s injured in the blast was airlifted to hospital

The tragedy unfolded near Cobar in far-west NSW

Located 40km north of Cobar, Endeavor is a major underground silver, zinc, and lead mine operated by Polymetals.

The project is described on its website as the second-largest mine in Australia’s richest polymetallic region known, as the Cobar Basin.

The mine first began operations in 1982.

Operations ceased in 2020 when the site was placed in ‘care and maintenance’ but remained ‘operationally ready’.

Polymetals acquired the site from CBH Resources last year.

‘We can now get on with what the company has done best for many years; namely, the cost-efficient development, management and operation of mines within Australia and particularly within the very familiar and fertile polymetallic Cobar Basin,’ Polymetals executive chairman Dave Sproule said at the time.

Mining operations resumed in June, with the first cargo of zinc scheduled to be exported to South Korea this month, according to a recent Polymetals update.

Anyone with information about Tuesday’s underground mine explosion is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. 

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Arsonist who killed 13-year-old boy on his first sleepover by hurling a Molotov cocktail into a building learns his fate

    Arthur Haines was killed after becoming becoming trapped in a burning home The fire was set by Gregory John Walker after he threw a molotov cocktail Walker was sentenced to…

    Grandfather and his dog killed in front of wife during ‘senseless’ park confrontation with another pet owner

    A Georgia grandfather and his dog were fatally shot just days before Christmas by another pet owner as the victim’s horrified wife watched on.  Terry Loden, 70, died while walking in…

    You Missed

    Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of the victims killed in the Bondi Beach shooting

    Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of the victims killed in the Bondi Beach shooting

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    Brown University gunman drove to Rhode Island with laser-reinforced firearm before wreaking chaos: Live updates

    Brown University gunman drove to Rhode Island with laser-reinforced firearm before wreaking chaos: Live updates

    He was a trusted elementary teacher who played Santa Claus but the ‘sick’ St Nick hid a ‘dark secret’

    He was a trusted elementary teacher who played Santa Claus but the ‘sick’ St Nick hid a ‘dark secret’

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    Roommate of second Brown University shooting victim mourns ‘ball of joy’ neuroscience major killed in gunfire

    • By poster
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Roommate of second Brown University shooting victim mourns ‘ball of joy’ neuroscience major killed in gunfire