Twelve killed in China fireworks shop blast during Lunar New Year

Five children among the dead as authorities warn of ongoing holiday safety risks.

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China’s Hubei province has killed at least 12 people, state media reported, marking the second deadly blast linked to fireworks as the country celebrates the Lunar New Year.

The explosion tore through the shop in Xiangyang on Wednesday afternoon. Emergency crews extinguished the blaze soon after, according to the state-run Xinhua News Agency.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

Authorities have launched an investigation into the cause but have not released further details.

Officials said five children and seven adults died in the explosion. The victims included the shop owner and customers who had been buying fireworks for holiday celebrations. Some had travelled from other areas to visit relatives during the festive period.

Fireworks remain a longstanding part of Lunar New Year traditions across China, where families set them off to usher in prosperity and ward off misfortune.

However, their widespread use has also led to repeated safety incidents.

On Sunday, another explosion at a fireworks shop in Jiangsu province killed eight people and injured two. Local authorities said a resident had ignited fireworks near the building before that blast.

Following the recent accidents, China’s Ministry of Emergency Management issued renewed safety warnings.

In a statement on Tuesday, the ministry said that “fireworks are still the biggest risks during the Spring Festival period,” and urged regional governments to strengthen oversight of the industry.

On Monday, the ministry instructed all regions to learn from the Jiangsu incident and tighten supervision, stressing the need to “resolutely prevent” similar accidents. Officials also called for comprehensive risk assessments and heightened vigilance during the holiday.

Many cities have previously imposed restrictions or outright bans on fireworks over air quality and safety concerns. In recent years, however, some local governments have eased blanket bans in favour of regulated use.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US confirms 157 killed in maritime strikes experts call ‘extrajudicial’

    Defence official tells Congress that 47 alleged drug-trafficking vessels have been struck since campaign began. The United States military has confirmed that at least 157 people have been killed in…

    Ten ICU patients killed in hospital fire in eastern India

    NewsFeed Emergency responders carried patients out of a government hospital in Odisha, India, after a fire killed at least 10 ICU patients, according to officials. Published On 16 Mar 2026…

    You Missed

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war