Ukraine says it captured two North Korean soldiers in Russia’s Kursk

Wounded soldiers taken to Kyiv for questioning by Ukrainian investigators in cooperation with South Korean intelligence.

Ukraine says it has captured two North Korean soldiers in Russia’s Kursk region and taken them to Kyiv, where investigators were questioning them.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the two prisoners of war were “communicating” with the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), the country’s domestic intelligence agency.

“Russian forces and other North Korean military personnel usually execute their wounded to erase any evidence of North Korea’s involvement in the war,” Zelenskyy wrote on X on Saturday.

Ukraine’s SBU said in a statement that one of the captured soldiers had no documents at all, while the other had been carrying a Russian military ID card in the name of a man from Tuva, a Russian region bordering Mongolia.

“The prisoners do not speak Ukrainian, English or Russian, so communication with them takes place through Korean translators in cooperation with South Korean intelligence,” the statement said.

According to the SBU, one of the soldiers claimed he had been told he was going to Russia for training, rather than to fight against Ukraine.

The agency said both men were provided with medical care in line with the Geneva Conventions.

Ukraine did not provide evidence that the captured soldiers were from North Korea.

South Korean coverage of North Korea's decision to deploy thousands of soldiers to Ukraine's front lines
A newspaper displayed on a street in Seoul, South Korea, with coverage of North Korea’s decision to deploy thousands of soldiers to Ukraine’s front lines [File: Anthony Wallace/AFP]

Kyiv has repeatedly said North Korean troops are fighting in the Kursk region, where it launched an incursion in August, claiming control over several hundred square kilometres of territory.

However, this is the first time that the country’s intelligence services said they have had the opportunity to question North Korean soldiers. While Ukraine had previously claimed to have captured North Korean soldiers in combat, it said they had been badly wounded and died shortly afterwards.

Last month, a senior Ukrainian military official claimed that some 200 North Korean soldiers fighting alongside Russian forces in Kursk had been killed or wounded in battle.

The estimate of North Korean casualties came weeks after Ukraine announced that Pyongyang had sent 10,000 to 12,000 soldiers to Russia to help it in its almost three-year war against its much smaller neighbour.

The White House and Pentagon last month confirmed that the North Korean forces have been battling on the front lines in largely infantry positions.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Can Ukraine and Russia realistically reach peace?

    Redi Tlhabi discusses the Russia-Ukraine war and what’s next with a former US diplomat and a Russian professor. For the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022, Russian President…

    One killed as Ukraine launches ‘massive’ drone attack on Moscow

    At least three people have been killed and many injured as more than 90 Ukrainian drones targeted Moscow region. Ukraine has launched a “massive” drone attack on Moscow, killing at…

    You Missed

    Huge savings on prescription medicines on the way for millions

    • By poster
    • April 3, 2025
    • 1 views
    Huge savings on prescription medicines on the way for millions

    Frantic search for on-the-run music exec Big U who ‘ran one of LA’s most notorious gangs’

    • By poster
    • April 3, 2025
    • 1 views
    Frantic search for on-the-run music exec Big U who ‘ran one of LA’s most notorious gangs’

    Manhunt launched after suspect escapes from prison van on way to court: Police warn ‘do not approach’

    • By poster
    • April 3, 2025
    • 1 views
    Manhunt launched after suspect escapes from prison van on way to court: Police warn ‘do not approach’

    JFK files named ‘dirtier’ than expected in major admission by head of declassification task force Anna Paulina Luna

    • By poster
    • April 3, 2025
    • 1 views
    JFK files named ‘dirtier’ than expected in major admission by head of declassification task force Anna Paulina Luna