China, Brazil can be models of ‘self-reliance’ for Global South, Xi says

China’s Xi and Brazil’s Lula discuss cooperation amid fallout of US President Donald Trump’s trade war.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has suggested that China and Brazil set an example of “unity and self-reliance” in the Global South, Chinese state media has reported.

In a phone call on Monday, Xi told Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva that China was ready to work with Brazil to be a model for other countries and build a “more just world and a more sustainable planet”, the state-run Xinhua news agency said.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items

end of list

Xi told Lula that China-Brazil ties were “at their best in history” and the “alignment” of the two countries’ development strategies was making “smooth progress”, Xinhua reported.

“Xi also said that China backs the Brazilian people in defending their national sovereignty and supports Brazil in safeguarding its legitimate rights and interests, urging all countries to unite in resolutely fighting against unilateralism and protectionism,” Xinhua said.

Lula’s office said the two leaders agreed on the role of the Group of 20 and BRICS in “defending multilateralism”, discussed efforts to negotiate peace between Russia and Ukraine, and committed to expanding cooperation to sectors such as health, oil and gas, the digital economy and satellites.

“Both presidents also emphasised their willingness to continue identifying new business opportunities between the two economies,” Lula’s office said.

Lula also reiterated the importance of China for the success of the COP30 world climate conference in November in Belem, Brazil, his office said.

The two leaders held the discussion as United States President Donald Trump’s trade salvoes are spurring calls for greater cooperation among emerging economies, including China and Brazil.

In an interview with the Reuters news agency last week, Lula said he planned to contact the leaders of the 10-member BRICS group, which includes India and China, to discuss the possibility of a coordinated response to US tariffs.

Trump last month announced a 50 percent tariff on Brazilian goods, and on Monday he signed an executive order extending a pause on a 145 percent tariff on Chinese goods until November.

China surpassed the US as Brazil’s largest trading partner in 2009, with two-way trade last year reaching $188.17bn.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Brazil announces US partnership to intercept weapons, drug trafficking

    The Brazilian government has announced a new security partnership with the United States to combat criminal networks, as well as the illicit traffic of drugs and weapons. In a social…

    China opens investigations into US trade practices in response to Trump tariff moves

    China has opened two investigations into U.S. trade practices ahead of an upcoming visit by President Donald Trump in May BEIJING — China launched two investigations into U.S. trade practices…

    You Missed

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war