Nepal lifts social media ban after 19 killed in protests: Report

Nepal’s Communications and Information Technology Minister Prithvi Subba Gurung says the ban is ‘withdrawn’.

Nepal has lifted a ban on social media platforms following mass protests against systemic issues of corruption and the country’s economic woes, and the killing of 19 people by security forces, a government minister said.

Cabinet spokesman and Minister of Communication and Information Technology Prithvi Subba Gurung said early on Tuesday that the government had rolled back the social media ban imposed last week.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items

end of list

“We have withdrawn the shutdown of the social media. They are working now,” Gurung told the Reuters news agency.

The ban had blocked 26 media sites, including WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube, in a bid by the government to tackle misinformation, fraud and hate speech.

Dubbed the “Gen Z” protests, due to the predominant participation of young adults and students, thousands gathered in Kathmandu and major cities on Monday to protest against corruption, a dire economic situation and the social media ban.

Events turned deadly in Kathmandu when police fired live rounds and deployed tear gas, rubber bullets, water cannon, and batons as protesters attempted to storm the Parliament complex.

Seventeen protesters were killed in Kathmandu, and two others were killed in a protest in the city of Itahari.

Across Nepal, more than 100 people were injured, with some estimates putting the figure as high as 400, including police officers.

The government said late on Monday that it would set up an investigation panel and offer compensation to the families of people killed in the protests.

Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli said in a letter that he was “deeply saddened” by the deaths.

“The government was not in favour of stopping the use of social media and will ensure an environment for its use,” he said, adding that an “investigation committee will be formed to investigate and analyse” the protests.

The unrest was some of the worst to hit Nepal in decades.

The United Nations Office for the High Commissioner of Human Rights said it had received “several deeply worrying allegations of unnecessary or disproportionate use of force by security forces” during the protests.

“We are shocked by the killings and injury of protesters in Nepal today and urge a prompt and transparent investigation,” said UN spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani.

#Nepal: We are shocked by the killings and injury of protesters today and urge a prompt and transparent investigation.

We have received several deeply worrying allegations of unnecessary or disproportionate use of force by security forces during protests organized by youth… pic.twitter.com/KstvW4La92

— UN Human Rights (@UNHumanRights) September 8, 2025

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump lifts ban on mining near Boundary Waters, clearing way for Chilean company to seek permits

    President Donald Trump has lifted a federal ban on mining near Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, clearing the way for a South American company eyeing the region’s precious metals…

    England beat Nepal by four runs; avoid shock at T20 World Cup

    Lokesh Bam’s late heroics with the bat are not enough as Nepal are beaten by two-time champions in their Group C match in Mumbai. Nepal were left heartbroken after they…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese to deliver address to the nation TONIGHT as he makes urgent plea to all Australians: ‘Play their part’

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Anthony Albanese to deliver address to the nation TONIGHT as he makes urgent plea to all Australians: ‘Play their part’

    Labour could lose ‘well over’ 1,000 councillors -elections continues, say top pollsters

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Labour could lose ‘well over’ 1,000 councillors -elections continues, say top pollsters

    President Trump announces an ‘Address to the Nation’ on Iran

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    President Trump announces an ‘Address to the Nation’ on Iran

    The fatal hospital blunder that cost young tradie, 22, his life

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    The fatal hospital blunder that cost young tradie, 22, his life

    Sacked BBC star Scott Mills admitted pinning an ex-boyfriend to the wall by his throat after he betrayed him and found him in bed with his friend

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Sacked BBC star Scott Mills admitted pinning an ex-boyfriend to the wall by his throat after he betrayed him and found him in bed with his friend

    World’s oldest known tortoise dies aged 193: Jonathan

    • By admin
    • May 23, 2026
    • 2 views
    World’s oldest known tortoise dies aged 193: Jonathan