Ireland won’t participate in Eurovision 2026 if Israel does: Broadcaster

RTE says participating would be ‘unconscionable’ as a result of Israel’s war on Gaza and the ‘appalling loss of lives’.

Ireland, which has been critical of Israel’s war on Gaza, will withdraw from next year’s Eurovision Song Contest if Israel is permitted to compete, the national broadcaster RTE has announced.

The broadcaster in a statement on Thursday said participating would be “unconscionable” as a result of Israel’s war on Gaza.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items

end of list

Ireland has taken one of the strongest stances against Israel’s atrocities in Gaza and joined South Africa’s International Court of Justice (ICJ) case accusing Israel of committing genocide.

The ICJ in its interim order in January last year said Israel must take steps to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza. Numerous rights organisations have said Israel’s war in Gaza is genocide.

Israel has closed its Dublin embassy in protest against Ireland’s criticism of its military actions against Palestinians.

Israel has participated in Eurovision as a longtime member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), which organises and coproduces the annual event.

Eurovision is organised by the EBU in cooperation with its members, national public service broadcasters such as RTE, in more than 35 countries.

Recent editions of Eurovision have been overshadowed by opposition to Israel’s participation in the contest over its continuing military assault on Gaza, which has killed more than 64,000 people. Currently, the Israeli army has been carrying out relentless bombardments of Gaza City to force its nearly 1 million residents to flee.

“RTE feels that Ireland’s participation would be unconscionable given the ongoing and appalling loss of lives in Gaza,” the broadcaster asserted.

The Irish broadcaster said it was also deeply concerned by “the targeted killing of journalists in Gaza, the denial of access to international journalists to the territory and the plight of the remaining hostages”.

Israel’s war has killed more than 270 journalists, making it the deadliest conflict for media workers ever recorded.

‘Still consulting’

The EBU said it understood the “concerns and deeply held views around the ongoing conflict in the Middle East”.

“We are still consulting with all EBU members to gather views on how we manage participation and geopolitical tensions around the Eurovision Song Contest,” Eurovision director Martin Green said in an emailed statement.

“Broadcasters have until mid-December to confirm if they wish to take part in next year’s event in Vienna. It is up to each member to decide if they want to take part in the contest and we would respect any decision broadcasters make.”

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said in May that Israel should be excluded in the future. Madrid has also imposed an arms embargo on Israel.

Noting that Russia had not been allowed to take part since its invasion of Ukraine in 2022, he said “Israel shouldn’t either because what we cannot allow is double standards in culture”.

A final decision about Ireland’s participation in the 2026 competition will be made once the EBU makes its own decision on Israel, RTE said.

Ireland has taken part in the contest since 1965 and won seven times. Only Sweden has matched its record number of victories.

Source:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US air strikes won’t fix Nigeria’s security crisis but could make it worse

    The recent strikes by the United States on alleged ISIL (ISIS) targets in northwest Nigeria have been presented in Washington as a decisive counter-terror response. For the supporters of the…

    IRS Direct File won’t be available next year. Here’s what that means for taxpayers

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen