Anthony Albanese gets testy when quizzed about what he knew about caravan packed with explosives

  •  Prime Minister Anthony Albanese testy with reporters

By STEPHEN JOHNSON and HARRISON CHRISTIAN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Published: | Updated:

Anthony Albanese became agitated when asked about the public being kept in the dark about a caravan packed with explosives that was possibly intended as a terror plot targeting Jews.

The Prime Minister was defensive when he was pressed on whether the Australian public and state premiers should have been given more information about the anti-Semitic discovery in Sydney‘s north-west.

‘What’s correct protocol is making sure that we don’t speak about operational matters,’ he told reporters on Friday morning.

‘This should not be the source of political debate, and that I note that the Coalition have said, as well, that they wouldn’t change the protocols that have been in place for a long period of time.

‘The idea that you make public pronouncements about something that is an ongoing investigation is, of course, entirely inappropriate because as the police have made very clear, both state and federal, the priority is those ongoing investigations.’

A caravan – filled with explosives and notes with the address of a Sydney synagogue – was discovered by police at Dural in Sydney’s north-west on January 19, but the information wasn’t revealed to the public until Wednesday after a leak to the media. 

This was 10 days after a member of the public reported the caravan to police.

Federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has argued national cabinet should have at least been told, following revelations they weren’t.

The Prime Minister was defensive when he was pressed on whether the Australian public and state premiers should have been given more information about the anti-Semitic discovery in Sydney ‘s north-west (pictured is the property at Dural)

But following a spate of anti-Semitic attacks in Sydney, Mr Albanese argued talking publicly about the latest development would have undermined a police investigation.

‘I have no intention of undermining an ongoing investigation by going into the details of what I will do,’ he said. 

Tammie Farrugia and her boyfriend Scott Marshall are in custody charged with unrelated offences, with police saying their arrests were made on the ‘periphery’ of the case.

The couple sought a caravan last month via a Facebook post.

Farrugia and Marshall have not been charged in relation to the caravan and there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing.

Farrugia was arrested over an alleged anti-Semitic attack at Woollahra, in Sydney’s east, in December, while Marshall was charged late last year with weapons and drug offences to which he has pleaded not guilty.

They do not appear to have any history of extremist ideology, which might support Australian Federal Police Commissioner Reece Kershaw’s warning that overseas actors could be paying petty criminals to carry out anti-Semitic attacks. 

The Sydney Hills District resident who reported the caravan to police was concerned that it posed a safety risk to passing cars because it was close to the road.

Anthony Albanese became agitated when asked about a caravan packed with explosives that was possibly intended as a terror plot targeting Jews

The Dural man thought it had been abandoned and towed the caravan on to his property before discovering its contents.

The explosive, known as Powergel and often using in mining, had the capacity to produce a 40m blast wave, but was not wired to explode, police said.

New South Police Deputy Commissioner David Hudson said he was ‘not happy’ that details of the investigation were leaked to the media.

He said caravan had initially been seen on the side of the road on December 7 but was towed to a nearby property on January 19.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Anthony Joshua is injured in car crash in Nigeria which killed two others

    Two foreign nationals were killed in a car crash involving Anthony Joshua in Nigeria – as footage shows how the boxing star came within inches of death. The boxing champion,…

    Anthony Joshua is discharged from hospital on New Year’s Eve after horror crash in Nigeria: Boxing star heads straight to funeral home to pay tribute to best friends who died in tragedy

    Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital late on New Year’s Eve – and paid an emotional visit to a funeral home to pay his respects to his two close friends who…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen