Israel kills 4, wounds dozens in south Lebanon in breach of ceasefire deal

Attacks come on the day Israeli troops were supposed to withdraw from southern Lebanon and allow people to return home.

The Israeli army has killed at least 22 people in southern Lebanon on the day its forces were due to withdraw under a ceasefire deal, according to health officials.

In a statement, Lebanon’s Ministry of Public Health said on Sunday that at least 124 people were also wounded as the Israeli army opened fire as people tried to return to their homes.

The death toll included a Lebanese soldier, according to a statement by Lebanon’s army.

Earlier on Sunday, Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee had issued a statement telling residents of more than 60 villages in southern Lebanon to not go back.

The Israeli killings violate a ceasefire agreement reached in November, under which its forces were supposed to withdraw from Lebanon at 02:00 GMT on Sunday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed Lebanon for the delay, saying Hezbollah has not pulled back sufficiently from the border region. Lebanon denies the claim and has urged Israel to respect the deadline.

Under the terms of the ceasefire, the Lebanese army was to deploy alongside the United Nations peacekeepers in the south as the Israeli army withdrew from the area over the 60-day period.

Hezbollah agreed to pull back its forces north of the Litani River, about 30km (19 miles) from the border, and dismantle any remaining military infrastructure in the south.

The deal, brokered by the United States and France in November, ended more than a year of fighting triggered by Israel’s war on Gaza.

Naqoura
Damaged buildings in Naqoura, near the border with Israel, south Lebanon [File: Ali Hankir/Reuters]

Al Jazeera’s Zeina Khodr, reporting from Borj al-Mlouk in southern Lebanon, said the Israeli military claims it needs to stay longer because the Lebanese army is not doing its job to ensure Hezbollah is disarmed and its military infrastructure dismantled.

“Israeli officials are saying there are not enough Lebanese troops on the ground and allege Hezbollah is still here. There is no independent confirmation concerning those claims,” Khodr said.

“People here have been displaced from their homes for more than a year. They believe the Israeli military should have withdrawn in line with the ceasefire agreement. The 60-day deadline has passed.”

The Lebanon parliament’s Speaker Nabih Berri, whose Amal Movement party is allied with Hezbollah, said in a statement that Sunday’s bloodshed “is a clear and urgent call for the international community to act immediately and compel Israel to withdraw from occupied Lebanese territories”.

Berri had served as a mediator between the group and the United States during ceasefire negotiations.

Meanwhile, in a joint statement, the United Nations envoy in Lebanon and the chief of the UN peacekeeping mission to Lebanon (UNIFIL) said conditions are “not yet in place” for the safe return of Lebanese citizens to southern Lebanon.

They said the timelines set under the ceasefire deal were not met, urging recommitment from both Israel and Lebanon.

“People are frustrated,” said Al Jazeera’s Khodr. “They are saying the Lebanese army cannot protect us; it’s standing in the middle.”

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Israel says Nickolay Mladenov to direct Trump’s proposed Gaza ‘peace board’

    Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu announcemed the Bulgarian diplomat as the ‘designated’ director-general for Trump’s ‘board of peace’. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says that former United Nations Middle East envoy…

    Israel looking to reopen Rafah crossing after US pressure: Israeli media

    Israel currently occupies the Palestinian side of the crossing, choking Gaza of a vital humanitarian entry point. Israel is preparing to reopen the Rafah crossing between the Gaza Strip and…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen