US military strikes ‘Iranian-backed’ fighters in Syria for a second day

The US military said it carried out strikes against an Iranian-backed armed group in Syria, its second such operation in two days.

The United States military has again carried out air strikes in Syria targeting “Iranian-aligned targets” following a recent rocket attack against US forces at a base in Syria’s northeastern Hasakah province.

US Central Command (CENTCOM), which is responsible for US forces deployed in the Middle East, did not specify on Wednesday how many air strikes were conducted – or who the targets were – stating only that the Iranian-aligned “group’s weapons storage and logistics headquarters” were hit.

The unnamed fighters had fired rockets at the US Patrol Base Shaddadi, in northeast Syria, but inflicted no damage to the facility or injuries to US or “partner forces”, CENTCOM said.

On Tuesday, CENTCOM also said it had carried out attacks against “Iranian backed groups” in Syria, hitting nine targets at two separate locations in the country over the previous 24-hour period.

“US Central Command, alongside our regional partners, will aggressively pursue any threat to US forces, allies, partners, and security in the region,” CENTCOM’s commander Michael Erik Kurilla said in a statement following the latest strikes.

pic.twitter.com/U9RDrmpK1L

— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) November 13, 2024

An estimated 900 US soldiers are based in the eastern part of Syria – and 2,500 in neighbouring Iraq – as part of a longstanding operation that continues to focus on preventing a resurgence of the ISIL (ISIS) group, which seized large areas of both Syria and Iraq in 2014 before being militarily defeated.

CENTCOM’s strikes on Monday reportedly killed four Syrian members of Iranian-backed armed groups and wounded 10 others, some of them severely, in the Al Mayadeen area of eastern Syria’s Deir Az Zor countryside, according to the United Kingdom-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

CENTCOM did not specify the locations of their separate attacks in Syria.

Then-US President Donald Trump ordered the withdrawal of all US forces from Syria in 2018 on the grounds that ISIL had been defeated.

The US military, however, later said that a contingency force would remain in the country, where some see them as both a deterrent to ISIL as well as an attempt to limit neighbouring Iran’s spreading influence in Syria.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US air strikes won’t fix Nigeria’s security crisis but could make it worse

    The recent strikes by the United States on alleged ISIL (ISIS) targets in northwest Nigeria have been presented in Washington as a decisive counter-terror response. For the supporters of the…

    Military mom breaks down while pleading with Mike Johnson to stop shutdown: ‘My kids could die!’

    A military mom lashed out at Speaker Mike Johnson for refusing to call Congress back in session amid the government shutdown as a crucial deadline looms. The Republican House Speaker appeared…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen