Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

By WILL POTTER, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

Donald Trump says he has called off anticipated strikes on Iran this weekend ‘subject to being able to rapidly make a DEAL’ with the Islamic regime. 

The president said on Truth Social on Saturday evening that although he remains ‘locked and loaded’ to launch an attack, he halted the strikes in hopes of reaching a peace deal. 

Trump’s announcement came after reports claimed he was talked down by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over concerns that further strikes could dramatically escalate the conflict in the Middle East. 

Sources told Axios that the Crown Prince urged Trump to defuse the situation, following days of tit-for-tat threats between the White House and Tehran. 

In Trump’s Truth Social post on Saturday night, he threatened to unleash ‘power not seen since World War II’, but said he agreed to tentatively pause the attack. 

‘We have just been asked by Iran, and other Middle Eastern Countries, to hold off any attack in that the perimeters of a deal has been agreed to,’ Trump wrote. 

‘This would include the Immediate, Complete, and Total OPENING OF THE HORMUZ STRAIT, and an end to Iran’s nuclear threat. 

‘Based on this request, I have agreed, for the future benefit of the WORLD and, likewise, the survival of a successful and prosperous Iran, to cancel the attack, subject to being able to rapidly make a DEAL. The Country of Israel joins me in this commitment.’ 

Trump has been locked in meetings at Camp David in recent days, during which he vowed to hit Iran until they ‘can’t take it anymore’ and sources told several outlets that Trump had already green-lit strikes. 

Donald Trump says he has called off anticipated strikes on Iran this weekend ‘subject to being able to rapidly make a DEAL’

Donald Trump says he has called off anticipated strikes on Iran this weekend ‘subject to being able to rapidly make a DEAL’

On Friday, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the president has grown frustrated with negotiations with Iranian officials. 

Leavitt said the White House believed it made a breakthrough when it signed a memorandum of understanding last month, but Tehran promptly ‘broke it, shot at commercial ships, and killed American soldiers.’ 

‘President Trump is not going to stand by and allow this terrorist behavior to occur,’ Leavitt said in a statement on Friday evening. 

‘Iran will continue to pay until they come to the table in, what President Trump deems, a meaningful way.’ 

Amid Trump’s threats to devastate Iran’s infrastructure, Iran responded on Friday night by naming potential targets of its own

Iranian state-affiliated news agencies said Iran would go after energy infrastructure tied to the US and Israeli militaries, and a senior security official told Tasnim News that the IRGC had prepared ‘extensive response plans.’ 

Trump has repeatedly claimed that his administration has control over the Strait of Hormuz, the key waterway bordering Iran that typically sees over a fifth of global crude oil pass through it. 

The U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) has imposed a naval blockade, redirecting 30 commercial vessels, boarding two and disabling two others in recent weeks. 

Trump has repeatedly claimed that his administration has control over the Strait of Hormuz, the key waterway bordering Iran that typically sees over a fifth of global crude oil pass through it

In the days leading up to Trump’s reversal on launching strikes, media outlets shared conflicting reports on the White House’s preparedness to attack. 

The Wall Street Journal claimed that Trump had already given his approval for strikes that would begin as soon as Saturday evening, and set to last several days. 

A report from CBS News also emerged on Friday which cited sources as saying that the US and Israel are preparing ‘one of the harshest bombing campaigns to date’ against Iran’s energy infrastructure. 

However, Axios reported soon after that Trump ‘hasn’t given final orders to do it’, leaving the world waiting for his decision. 

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Donald Trump wins golf tournament with barely-believable score at his own course… after ‘disrespectful’ faux pas in front of US troops

    Donald Trump wins golf tournament with barely-believable score at his own course… after ‘disrespectful’ faux pas in front of US troops See more Daily Mail on Google – save us…

    Trump privately tells embattled congressman Max Miller his campaign is in trouble: ‘Not looking good’

    Donald Trump reportedly told under-fire Ohio Representative Max Miller that his campaign was ‘not looking good’ amid abuse allegations from his ex-wife. GOP Rep. Miller took to a livestream Sunday where…

    You Missed

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran