Philippine president declares national energy emergency to respond to impact of Middle East war

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr_ has declared a state of national energy emergency to respond to the impact of the Middle East war, which his administration said poses “an imminent danger of a critically low energy supply.”

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Tuesday declared a state of national energy emergency to respond to the impact of the Middle East war, which his administration said posed “an imminent danger of a critically low energy supply.”

Under the declaration, which will initially last for a year, Marcos will lead a contingency committee that will ensure the availability and orderly distribution of fuel, food, medicines, agricultural products and other basic goods.

Authorities were ordered to take action against the hoarding, profiteering and manipulation of the supply of petroleum products. The Department of Migrant Workers, meanwhile, was asked to brace for the possible rescue and evacuation of Filipinos in the Middle East.

The government has started to provide 5,000 pesos ($83) each to large numbers of motorcycle taxi drivers and other public transport workers nationwide to help them cope with soaring gasoline and diesel prices. Free bus rides have also been provided to students and workers in selected cities.

Popular Reads

About 2.4 million Filipinos live and work in the Middle East, including about 31,000 in Israel and 800 in Iran. Most have opted, however, to stay and work in the region, with only several hundreds being flown home so far with government help since the Middle East hostilities began.

A Filipina caregiver, Mary Ann de Vera, was killed in Tel Aviv, Israel, in an Iranian missile strike on Feb. 28 while helping bring her elderly charge to a bomb shelter, Philippine officials said.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

Read More

  • Related Posts

    China’s President Xi warns world order is ‘crumbling into disarray’ as Iran threatens to block Red Sea if Trump does not end Hormuz navy blockade amid claims Beijing aided Tehran attack on US base: Live Updates

    By PERKIN AMALARAJ, FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER and ADAM POGRUND, REPORTER and IMOGEN GARFINKEL – SENIOR FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER Updated: 19:41 EDT, 15 April 2026 The White House has denied reports…

    Iraqi president names Shia bloc candidate Ali al-Zaidi as PM-designate

    DEVELOPING STORY, Choice of al-Zaidi breaks a months-long deadlock after US President Trump opposed appointment of pro-Iran former PM al-Maliki. Iraq’s President Nizar Amedi has named Ali al-Zaidi as prime…

    You Missed

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war