London police officer filmed in crowd intimidating Al Jazeera journalists

Metropolitan Police says it is reviewing footage of incident and reporters must be able to work ‘without intimidation’.

An off-duty British police officer was involved in an incident that saw a group of North London residents surround and “intimidate” Al Jazeera journalists reporting on a suspected arson attack, the Metropolitan Police force has confirmed.

In an email to Al Jazeera on Thursday, a Metropolitan Police spokesperson said the force was “aware that an off duty serving Met special constable was involved in the altercation”.

“The matter has been referred to the Department of Professional Standards for assessment,” the spokesperson said.

The incident occurred on Monday in the Golders Green neighbourhood of North London, at the scene where a suspected arson incident occurred, the spokesperson said.

Four volunteer ambulances operated by a local Jewish charity had been set on fire in the area early on Monday, British media outlets reported. Two men in their 40s were arrested on Wednesday in relation to the attack, police said.

Video footage circulating on social media showed a group of men, including several wearing Jewish yarmulkes, shouting at a crew of Al Jazeera journalists to leave the area.

One of the men, who was wearing a yarmulke and a grey hooded sweatshirt, can be seen telling an Al Jazeera crew member in Arabic: “Get out of here, you donkey, you dog.”

That man was identified as a Metropolitan Police officer by local news outlet Declassified UK.

The incident drew condemnation online, with observers expressing support for Al Jazeera and the freedom of the press.

In its statement to Al Jazeera, the Metropolitan Police spokesperson said on Thursday that the force was aware of the footage showing a “verbal altercation between local residents and journalists”.

“Freedom of the press is important, and journalists must be able to do their job without being subject to intimidation or harassment,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson added that while officers intervened at the scene, “there was an extended period where the journalists were put in a difficult situation, which led them to leave the area”.

“Officers on duty in the area have been asked to be alert to any similar altercations in the coming days. We will be reviewing the footage to identify whether any offences were committed,” the spokesperson said.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Police watchdog to investigate motorway crash that killed two men: Patrol car had activated its blue lights after spotting car driving in wrong direction

    Get your news delivered straight to you by 7am – sign up to our new Morning Mail newsletter for FREE By TOM LAWRENCE, NEWS REPORTER Published: 15:37 EDT, 19 April…

    Israeli police destroy children’s footballs at Al-Aqsa mosque

    NewsFeed Video shows Israeli police confiscating and destroying footballs that were being played with by children in the courtyards of Al-Aqsa mosque in occupied East Jerusalem, in what mosque authorities…

    You Missed

    Massive twist in Dezi Freeman saga as family of slain cop Neal Thompson plan to sue Victoria Police

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Massive twist in Dezi Freeman saga as family of slain cop Neal Thompson plan to sue Victoria Police

    Outraged young woman demands to know why Aussies aren’t more angry as cost-of-living crisis sets up an entire generation for failure

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Outraged young woman demands to know why Aussies aren’t more angry as cost-of-living crisis sets up an entire generation for failure

    Injured motocross rider’s message from hospital after catastrophic accident at the Sydney Royal Easter Show

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Injured motocross rider’s message from hospital after catastrophic accident at the Sydney Royal Easter Show

    Second private school student charged as adult over alleged gang rape of bullied boy on trip, as prosecutors accuse him of using video of alleged assault to taunt victim

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Second private school student charged as adult over alleged gang rape of bullied boy on trip, as prosecutors accuse him of using video of alleged assault to taunt victim

    Kennedy heir Jack Schlossberg insists being from America’s most famous political family doesn’t give him any advantage at all as he runs for Congress

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 2 views
    Kennedy heir Jack Schlossberg insists being from America’s most famous political family doesn’t give him any advantage at all as he runs for Congress

    Trump says Iranian civilians want America to unleash military power as he threatens to wipe out ‘every power plant’ and leave no bridges standing

    Trump says Iranian civilians want America to unleash military power as he threatens to wipe out ‘every power plant’ and leave no bridges standing