‘I felt nothing’: Bondi hero gives heartbreaking health update as he prepares to return to work despite his new multi-millionaire status

By CAITLIN POWELL – NEWS REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

Ahmed Al Ahmed, who heroically confronted one of the alleged Bondi Beach beach gunmen, has revealed he may never regain feeling in one of his hands. 

The 43-year-old was shot multiple times during the December 14 attack on Hanukkah celebrations at Bondi, shortly after he disarmed gunman Sajid Akram.

Doctors have removed a bullet from his shoulder and repaired nerve damage, though he previously said he may suffer permanent injury and require further surgery.

But on Tuesday, the tobacco and gift shop owner revealed that his left hand, which he had not been able to move, had been numb during the latest tests.

‘Today I went through a nerve test on my hand, and it confirmed what I feared,’ the father-of-two wrote on social media. 

‘Doctors sent electric shocks through it again and again. Even at 100mA, I felt nothing. That moment was painful, but it did not break me.’

Mr Al Ahmed said doctors applied increasingly strong electrical shocks to his hand.

‘I remember the days when I saved lives and made a difference. If I had that strength once, I will find it again. This phase is hard, but it is temporary,’ he said.

Bondi Beach terror attack hero Ahmed Al Ahmed has admitted he felt nothing in his injured hand after going through electric shock tests (pictured)

The 43-year-old was shot multiple times during the December 14 attack on Hanukkah celebrations, shortly after he disarmed gunman Sajid Akram (pictured)

While a bullet was successfully removed from his shoulder, Mr Al Ahmed (pictured) has previously said he may suffer permanent injury and require further surgery

‘Healing takes time, and I am ready to fight for it. I ask everyone reading this to keep me in your prayers. I believe I will heal. I believe I will rise again. I will not give up.’

Mr Al Ahmed’s recovery has been slow after he suffered sudden swelling in his hand and severe pain while visiting the United States in January. 

Footage shared by the hero on Instagram showed him lying in a hotel room, his left hand propped up on four pillows to elevate it.

‘I was scheduled to attend several meetings, but due to the sudden swelling in my hand and the severe pain, I had to cancel them all,’ he wrote at the time.

He said he was ‘discouraged’ when pain medication wore off but remembered that he had protected innocent people and felt hopeful once more. 

Despite his injuries and becoming an overnight multi-millionaire thanks to a viral GoFundMe campaign, Mr Al Ahmed is set to return to his tobacco shop. 

The store in Sutherland, south of Sydney, has remained closed since the mass shooting, sparking rumours the Bondi hero was going to sell the business. 

But Daily Mail revealed on Wednesday that the shop owner has had a change of heart and is planning on reopening the small business as early as this week.

Mr Al-Ahmed has become a multi-millionaire due to a viral GoFundMe while he was in hospital (he is pictured with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese)

But he is expected to return to work at his tobacco and gift store (pictured) in south Sydney

Locals in Sutherland were quick to react to the news. 

‘It will be great to have him back,’ one customer told Daily Mail. ‘He is a great guy, and now a hero too and we have missed having him around.’ 

Mr Al Ahmed had been operating his store, which sells gifts and toys, since 2021 with his proud parents describing it as a ‘supermarket’ during an interview.

In the days that followed the terror attack, flowers and cards were placed outside the closed shop thanking him for his bravery. 

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Democrats in US slam Pam Bondi for refusing to appear for Epstein hearing

    Lawmakers have warned the former Justice Department chief that a congressional subpoena for her testimony remains in effect. Lawmakers in the United States House of Representatives have called on former…

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    By SAM LAWLEY, NEWS REPORTER and CAITLIN POWELL – NEWS REPORTER and ASHLEY NICKEL, NEWS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA and CAMERON CARPENTER, DEPUTY NEWS EDITOR, AUSTRALIA and SAM CHISHOLM Updated: 21:19 EST,…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii