
By ALEXA CIMINO, US REPORTER and WILKO MARTÍNEZ-CACHERO, US REPORTER
Updated:
A gunman left at least two people dead and at least nine injured at Brown University when the suspect opened fire inside a classroom on campus.
The Ivy League college in Providence, Rhode Island, remained on lockdown with the suspected gunman still at large after the shooting on Saturday evening.
This live blog has now closed.
Brown University shooting suspect captured on video leaving scene
Unsettling footage has been released of the mass shooting suspect fleeing Brown University after killing two students and injuring at least nine others.
The footage did not reveal the suspected shooter’s face, but showed him fully outfitted in dark clothing and what appeared to be a bomber jacket with black boots and gloves.
His head was covered by a beanie.
The suspect was seen quickly pacing down the street before turning a corner.
He remains at large, and Ivy League school’s campus is currently on lockdown with more than 400 police officers searching for the gunman.
At a press conference Saturday, officials said preliminary indications indicated the man was in his 30s.
He was wearing a camouflaged, gray mask at the time of the mass shooting.
The man left the engineering building on the Hope Street side and was then spotted walking toward Waterman Street.
Timothy O’Hara, the deputy Providence police chief, said: ‘If anybody should recognize this person in any way – seen him earlier, recognize his gait – obviously, we want to know about that.’
Student shot at California high school was also at Brown during gunman’s rampage
Two students at Brown University had already survived prior school shootings prior to Saturday’s mass attack.
Mia Tretta, 21, was shot in the abdomen in 2019 at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California.
‘People always think, well, it’ll never be me,’ she told The New York Times. ‘Until I was shot in my school, I also thought the same thing.’
That shooting killed three people, including the gunman, and injured three others.
Tretta was going to study at Brown’s engineering building, where Saturday’s mass attack happened, until she changed her mind.
She recalled choosing the Ivy League institution specifically with safety in mind.
‘It felt like a safer place after my whole sense of safety, my whole sense of innocence, was taken away at Saugus,’ she said.
Zoe Weissman, 20, said she felt angry at Saturday’s shooting after having lived through the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
‘What I’ve been feeling most is just, like, how dare this country allow this to happen to someone like me twice?’ she told the outlet.
Weissman said she thought it was ‘practically impossible’ for her to be involved in a shooting again – until Saturday.
FBI ramps up hunt for Brown University shooter by releasing video outside campus
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) established a hot line and a website, as the search for the Brown University shooter continued.
Federal investigators said they were seeking images and videos related to the shooting, which killed two and left at least nine injured.
‘Help find this Person of Interest,’ the FBI wrote on X, attaching a video of the suspected gunman.
The video did not reveal the shooter’s face, but showed him in black clothing and what looked like a bomber jacket with black boots, gloves and a beanie.
Anyone with information was urged to call 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324) or submit a tip.
Mayor urges residents to enjoy holiday plans despite ongoing manhunt for Brown shooter
Providence mayor Brett Smiley said locals could push ahead with their weekend and holiday plans despite the Brown University shooting.
‘We at this time are not recommending that those events be cancelled,’ he said Saturday night.
‘It’s a personal choice whether you want to cancel your holiday party but we do not think it is necessary.’
He added that officials believed it was safe for locals to go to church on Sunday morning.
Police cordon off campus streets in hunt for shooting suspect
A police perimeter has been established around part of Brown University’s campus, the school announced Saturday night.
A map released by the university showed the area around Waterman Street and Hope Street, where the suspect was last seen exiting the engineering building, cordoned off.
The Ivy League school urged students in residential buildings within the perimeter to continue sheltering in place.
People in non-residential buildings would be escorted by police to safe locations outside of the perimeter.
Buffalo Bills locked down in team hotel just two miles from mass shooting at Brown University ahead of game against Patriots
The Buffalo Bills are currently in lockdown at their team hotel just a few miles away from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
The team is in town ahead of a game on Sunday afternoon against the New England Patriots.
All players and staff who have traveled are in their hotel and are safe, according to The Athletic.
A suspect has not been arrested in the shooting on Saturday evening that left two dead and at least nine injured.
Providence mayor says 400 officers looking for Brown gunman: ‘Every minute matters’
Providence mayor Brett Smiley ended the news conference, promising to provide more updates, as 400 officers searched for the gunman.
He said: ‘Every minute matters. We know every minute matters.’
Brown University shooter may be in 30s, walked away from area wearing gray mask
Authorities said the shooter was wearing dark clothing and may have been wearing a camouflaged, gray mask.
Timothy O’Hara, the deputy Providence police chief, said the video would show the suspect leaving the area of the shooting.
His face was not visible.‘If anybody should recognize this person in any way – seen him earlier, recognize his gait – obviously, we want to know about that,’ he said at a briefing Saturday night.
The shooter was suspected to be in in his 30s, officials added.
He exited the scene on the Hope Street side of the engineering building and was seen walking toward Waterman Street.
All of the victims were believed to be students and inside the same classroom, according to officials.
Officials add another victim to injury list
In a second press conference, officials said the injury toll rose to nine after a victim sustained non-life threatening injuries after being hit by ‘fragments’ of an item that was shot.
Congressmen address ‘unimaginable tragedy’ at Brown following shooting
Rhode Island’s two congressmen have issued statements after the shooting at Brown University.
Gabe Amo, 38, called the two deaths an ‘unimaginable tragedy.’
He thanked law enforcement, first responders, and medical professionals.
‘I wish them safety as they work to apprehend whomever is responsible for this shooting,’ Amo added.
He urged lawmakers to ‘seek policies to ensure that these tragedies do not strike yet another community and no more lives are needlessly taken from us.’
Seth Magaziner, 42, lamented the tragedy and said the shooter had targeted ‘innocent members’ of Brown’s community.
‘I am deeply saddened by the shooting that occurred today on Brown University’s campus and am praying for the victims and their families,’ he said.
Second Rhode Island college goes on lockdown as search for Brown shooter continues
A nearby university urged students to also shelter in place following the shooting at Brown.
Providence College, which is about three miles from the Brown campus, said that an active shooter remained on the loose.
‘Avoid area until we get all clear,’ a statement issued by the Rhode Island school said.
‘We are strongly encouraging all students to remain in their residence halls and/or off campus houses at this time.’








