By SARAH BROOKES – SENIOR REPORTER, AUSTRALIA
Published: | Updated:
Rabbi Eli Schlanger has tragically been confirmed as one of the victims of the Bondi Beach terror attack, which has left the community in shock and mourning.
The devastating news was shared by his first cousin, Rabbi Zalman Lewis, who took to social media to announce the heartbreaking loss.
In a heartfelt post, Rabbi Lewis wrote: ‘My dear cousin, Rabbi Eli Schlanger, was murdered in today’s terrorist attack in Sydney.’
‘He leaves behind his wife, young children, as well as my uncle and aunt, and his siblings. He was truly an incredible guy.’
Rabbi Schlanger was the head of the Chabad mission in Bondi where he had served the community for nearly two decades.
The British-born father of five was one of the organisers for the Chanukah by the Sea event allegedly targeted by the gunmen.
Rabbi Schlanger’s death has sent waves of grief through his family and the wider Jewish community, who remember him as a man of deep faith and kindness.
The deadly attack at Bondi Beach unfolded on Sunday afternoon as hundreds gathered to attend the Chanukah by the Sea event, making the first day of Hanukkah.
Rabbi Eli Schlanger (pictured) was one of the organisers for the Chanukah by the Sea event allegedly targeted by the gunmen at Bondi Beach on Sunday
Rabbi Schlanger (pictured) was the head of the Chabad mission in Bondi where he had served the community for 18 years
Paramedics were called just before 7pm on Sunday evening with reports of multiple people shot
Two heavily armed men opened fire at the popular spot using military-grade weapons to cut down innocents celebrating Hanukkah.
Aryeh Deri, an Israeli Knesset member, said the Rabbi’s murder was reminiscent of the October 7 massacre.
‘I am deeply shaken to my core by the heinous attack in Sydney against Jews, during a Chabad Hanukkah event,’ he said.
So far 16 people have died, including one of the gunmen, and a further 38 taken to hospital.
Among the dead are Holocaust survivor Alex Kleytman and a 12-year-old girl also reportedly died in hospital overnight.
His wife Larisa Kleytman told the Daily Mail her husband of five decades died trying to save her.
‘I think he was shot because he raised himself up to protect me, in the back of the head,’ she said.
Witnesses said two men stepped out of a vehicle on Campbell Parade, near Bondi Pavilion, and opened fire about 6.40pm on Sunday with footage showing blast after blast on the tourist strip. Some witnesses reported more than 30 shots.
Larisa Kleytman (pictured) said her husband was shot dead while protecting her
Alex and Larisa Kleytman (pictured) had been married for more than five decades
The firearms appeared to be semi-automatic, with magazines seen scattered on the ground.
Married for five decades, grandmother Larisa Kleytman and husband came from Matraville, a suburb of Sydney, to celebrate Hanukkah with other Jewish people.
Executive Council of Australian Jewry co-chief executive Alex Ryvchin told CNN a friend had also lost his 12-year-old daughter, who succumbed to her wounds in hospital.
Israel’s Deputy Foreign Minister Sharren Heskel told the Daily Mail they had warned the Australian government multiple times a terror attack ‘was inevitable’.
‘This terror attack at Bondi Beach is an abomination,’ she said.
‘We warned the Australian government time and time again that a terror attack was inevitable if the government didn’t do more to combat antisemitism and racist hatred towards Jews.
‘Antisemitic protesters shouted ‘gas the Jews’ outside the Sydney Opera House on 9 October 2023, two days after the worst massacre of Jews since the Holocaust – two years later – and the worst massacre on Australian soil in three decades has been committed, aimed at Jews. Is anyone truly surprised?’




