Hezbollah fighter ‘laid the groundwork’ for police’s decision to ban Israeli fans from Aston Villa football match by compiling ‘safety risk’ dossier

By GABRIEL MILLARD-CLOTHIER, POLITICAL REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

A former Hezbollah fighter is behind a report that campaigners claim ‘laid the groundwork’ for the police to ban Israeli fans from attending a football match in Birmingham, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

The Hind Rajab Foundation, chaired by Dyab Abou Jahjah, helped the ‘Game Over Israel‘ campaign compile an anti-Israel dossier which was handed to West Midlands Police ahead of a Europa League match at Villa Park next month.

According to the GOI campaign group, the document was integral to the police’s highly controversial decision to stop Maccabi Tel Aviv fans from going to the match.

The document commented on the so-called ‘systematic instrumentalisation of football culture in genocide’ as well as illustrating ‘why Israel’s place in global sport is indefensible’, according to its authors.

It also highlighted the Amsterdam riots when Maccabi played Ajax in the Europa League last year, and said: ‘[The Maccabi fans’] arrival in Aston – a diverse and predominantly Muslim community – poses a real risk of tensions within the community and disorder.’

Lebanon-born Abou Jahjah was previously part of Islamist militant group Hezbollah, which has long been embroiled in violent conflict with Israel. 

Abou Jahjah has said that he was ‘very proud’ of his military training.

It comes as West Midlands Police caused outrage last week after it asked Israeli fans to stay away from the Aston Villa fixture, citing public safety concerns.

Dyab Abou Jahjah, pictured brandishing a Kalashnikov machine gun, helped compile a dossier which has seen Maccabi Tel Aviv fans banned from a Europa League match against Aston Villa

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood have both called for the decision to be reversed. 

Fresh talks are expected to take place this week.

Now this newspaper can reveal that a dossier which may have influenced the police’s decision was co-authored by Abou Jahjah’s Hind Rajab Foundation.

A probe by the MoS has uncovered Abou Jahjah posing shirtless and brandishing a Kalashnikov machine gun. In July, he was all too happy to share the image with his online supporters, telling them that ‘being called a terrorist’ is a ‘badge of honour’.

It comes as after the barbaric October 7 Hamas attack, he took to social media to praise the massacre and argued it is not anti-Semitic to say ‘effing Jews’. 

He has also compared Jewish people to Nazis.

In Belgium, where he lives and where the Hind Rajab Foundation is based, he has held mock funerals for killed Hamas leaders, saying one ‘showed the way’, according to our research. He has also repeatedly venerated Hezbollah leaders online.

Abou Jahjah also founded the now-dissolved Arab European League, which he said aimed to empower Muslim immigrants. 

The organisation was fined in Belgium in 2010 for posting Holocaust-denial content on its website.

In a 2003 interview, he said: ‘We want to polarise people, to sharpen the discussion, to unmask the myth that the system is democratic for us.’

Abou Jahjah was banned from the UK in 2009 over his views on the Middle East.

Six years later, Jeremy Corbyn was forced to admit he had met Abou Jahjah but said he had no recollection of it, having met ‘thousands of people over the years’.

The Israeli fans, pictured last November in Amsterdam, have been asked by West Midlands Police to stay away from the fixture at Villa Park in Birmingham

Last night Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp raised serious concerns West Midlands Police may have taken advice from a ‘terrorist sympathiser’.

He said: ‘This man looks to me to be dangerous. 

‘It is a disgrace that this terrorist supporter has played a critical role in banning football supporters. 

‘It is bad enough the West Midlands Police, with the Home Secretary’s knowledge, capitulated to the threat of anti-Semitic mob violence. 

‘Now we learn they were acting on the advice of a terrorist sympathiser. This is sick.’

Several Left-wing pro-Gaza MPs, including Mr Corbyn, have supported the police’s decision.

Independent Dewsbury MP Iqbal Hussain Mohamed said the ban had put Aston Villa fans above ‘Zionist and political pressure to let Israeli hooligans and terrorists run riot’ – a comment described as ‘racist’ by critics.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Hezbollah and Israel swap threats and strikes across Lebanon’s border

    Iran-linked group reiterates defiance; Israeli defence minister threatens to ‘burn all of Lebanon’. Israel has threatened to “burn” all of Lebanon after Hezbollah reiterated its defiance and rejection of peace…

    Hezbollah leader urges Lebanon’s government to pull out of Israel talks

    Naim Qassem says planned talks in Washington, DC, are a ploy to pressure Hezbollah into laying down its weapons. Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem has rejected an upcoming meeting between the…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii