West Ham co-owner David Sullivan advised to stay away from home matches

The recommendation from London Stadium comes after a joint investigation by BBC Panorama and The Times revealed that seven women have accused Sullivan of sexually exploitative and predatory behaviour. He has categorically denied the allegations.

He stood down as joint chairman of the club shortly before the investigation was broadcast, saying he wanted to focus on fighting what he called “factually incorrect and entirely false, decades-old allegations concerning my personal life”. He remains the club’s largest shareholder.

The investigation also revealed that Sullivan has been banned from contact with West Ham’s women’s and youth teams for three years due to safeguarding concerns. London Stadium were unaware of the restrictions until the BBC’s report.

Sullivan was banned after a historic allegation about his conduct was raised with the Football Association in 2023. He has previously said the allegation was false and that because he had never met any academy or women’s team players “1-2-1” during his 16 years at the club, he accepted what he saw as a “meaningless restriction…for a quiet life”.

West Ham were relegated from the Premier League in May and are due to play their first home game of the new season, a Carabao Cup match against Portsmouth, on Saturday.

Sullivan was a regular attendee at the London Stadium last season, where he was photographed watching games from the directors’ box.

A spokesperson for London Stadium, the operator of the publicly owned venue, said that “following media reports at the end of the season regarding a safeguarding matter being managed by the club, London Stadium sought further information to ensure it could fulfil its own safeguarding responsibilities”.

It said that West Ham had told it that the “matter was investigated and that the club does not consider there to be an ongoing safeguarding risk associated with Mr Sullivan attending the stadium”.

However it said that, despite this, it had recommended the businessman stay away from games because of the “potential for demonstrations and anti-social behaviour by some spectators”.

Sullivan has previously faced criticism from fans over his running of the club, with thousands joining a protest in September last year calling for his departure.

West Ham declined to comment. It is understood that the club intends to work with the stadium operators to facilitate Sullivan’s attendance at games.

Sullivan has not responded to a request for comment.

Meanwhile, presenter Tony Livesey left BBC Radio 5 Live on Monday after 16 years at the station, the corporation announced.

Livesey stepped back from his weekday late night talk show in June, following allegations made against Sullivan. He had previously worked as editor-in-chief of Sullivan’s Daily and Sunday Sport publications.

One alleged victim said that Livesey had arranged a meeting between her and Sullivan in 1999.

Livesey said he had “no recollection” of introducing the young woman to Sullivan and that it was “not part” of his job to do so.

He added that he had “great sympathy for a woman who may have become a victim”, but rejected any suggestion that he had played “any role whatsoever in that scenario” and said he found the allegation “abhorrent”.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    Get your news delivered straight to you by 7am – sign up to our new Morning Mail newsletter for FREE  See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as…

    David Hockney, 1937-2026: The Yorkshire genius who refused to paint the Queen, loved sex, drugs, smoking… and created magic until his final breath

    Few artists would turn down the honour of painting a reigning monarch but David Hockney did just that, declining several requests to capture the late Queen’s likeness because, he said,…

    You Missed

    Fearless three-year-old defies mom to take solo trek to grandma’s house more than half a mile away

    Fearless three-year-old defies mom to take solo trek to grandma’s house more than half a mile away

    US launches fresh round of powerful strikes on Iran in revenge for thwarted attack as Trump considers new ‘go big’ military strategy

    US launches fresh round of powerful strikes on Iran in revenge for thwarted attack as Trump considers new ‘go big’ military strategy

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    New test that could identify signs of Alzheimer’s disease set for Australia

    New test that could identify signs of Alzheimer’s disease set for Australia

    Connecticut mom makes risky legal move after getting sweetheart deal for allegedly locking stepson inside decrepit house of horrors for decades

    Connecticut mom makes risky legal move after getting sweetheart deal for allegedly locking stepson inside decrepit house of horrors for decades

    Dramatic rescues unfold at popular swimming spot as TWO more people are injured just days after teen crashed into rocks while cliff jumping

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 14 views
    Dramatic rescues unfold at popular swimming spot as TWO more people are injured just days after teen crashed into rocks while cliff jumping