Hundreds of migrant minors stranded in Ceuta after border crisis

Migrant children in Ceuta suffer loss, hunger in hope of a safer life in mainland Europe.

Hundreds of unaccompanied minors are stranded in Ceuta in North Africa, following the massive surge of migrants who swam around the border fence with Morocco to reach the Spanish territory.

Some of the children are traumatised after witnessing family members drown in the Mediterranean Sea, as tens of thousands left Morocco in search of better opportunities.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

An estimated 3,000 to 5,000 migrants, of the roughly 60,000 who arrived in Ceuta on Thursday, have avoided expulsion.

More than 800 unaccompanied minors are among the remaining migrants and face an uncertain future.

A 17-year-old girl from Tangier told the Associated Press she saw Spanish police pulling the body of her eight-year-old brother from the sea when she made it to shore. She was also separated from her mother during the journey.

“I saw people stepping on the dead,” she said through a translator. “Now we are children begging on the street.”

After finding a government facility for youths in need full, she is now relying on locals for food and shelter.

Minors must be cared for under Spanish law

Spanish law says adult migrants can apply for asylum, but the bar is normally set very high for Moroccans to be granted humanitarian protection. If rejected, they will face expulsion procedures.

Article 35 of Spain’s 2000 law on foreigners’ rights states that when police identify young children and teenage migrants who are unaccompanied by adults, the minors must be granted protection and receive “immediate attention’ from Spanish child protection services.

An AP journalist saw Spanish soldiers escorting an unaccompanied Moroccan boy who was crying and begging not to be sent back. Due to pressure from local residents who insisted he was a minor, the boy was transferred to the Spanish Civil Guard instead of being repatriated.

Most of the Moroccan adults who arrived last week have either voluntarily gone home or were pushed back by Spanish police. Among the remaining in Ceuta are significant numbers of people from other countries, including Sudanese fleeing their war-torn country, Palestinians from Gaza, Afghans and people from several African nations.

The city’s migrant centre is full — it has a capacity for 600 people. Food is scarce among the migrants, according to reporting by AP and AFP.

Many are sleeping outside or resting on the beach or on the hills surrounding Ceuta. In the hazy distance, mainland Europe, their ultimate goal, lies across the sea.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Illegal migrant on track for shockingly early parole after knocking down and killing Arkansas teen, 18, her devastated mom claims

    A grieving Arkansas mom is fighting to keep the illegal migrant convicted of killing her daughter behind bars after she made a deathbed promise to the teen. Hailey King, 18, was…

    Why did Ceuta migrant mayhem chill already frosty Israel-Spain relations?

    Spain says the crisis in its North African enclave Ceuta is back under control, with most of the more than 50,000 migrants who stormed across its borders over recent days…

    You Missed

    Civilian who shot back at In-N-Out gunman reveals how he began self-defense training five years ago after another tragic shooting as cops praise bystander’s ‘heroic act’

    Civilian who shot back at In-N-Out gunman reveals how he began self-defense training five years ago after another tragic shooting as cops praise bystander’s ‘heroic act’

    Pauline Hanson bans ABC and The Guardian

    Pauline Hanson bans ABC and The Guardian

    Donald Trump wins golf tournament with barely-believable score at his own course… after ‘disrespectful’ faux pas in front of US troops

    Donald Trump wins golf tournament with barely-believable score at his own course… after ‘disrespectful’ faux pas in front of US troops

    Teen disappears during late-night boat trip with his friends after saying he ‘needed to use restroom’

    Teen disappears during late-night boat trip with his friends after saying he ‘needed to use restroom’

    Building collapses in Sydney, multiple people injured

    Building collapses in Sydney, multiple people injured

    Australian police make disgusting discovery on dirty old man’s phone as he arrives at airport after overseas trip

    Australian police make disgusting discovery on dirty old man’s phone as he arrives at airport after overseas trip