Police probe Yes Scotland campaign’s ‘missing £1.5m’ claim

hundreds of marchers holding up Yes Scotland flagsImage source, Getty Images

Image caption,

Yes Scotland campaigned during the 2014 independence referendum

Police are making inquiries after a complaint was made about the finances of Yes Scotland, the group which campaigned for independence in the 2014 referendum.

The Sunday Mail, external has reported on claims that it was not known how income of more than £1.5m had been spent.

The newspaper said the complaint was made by David Henry, who was one of those whose concerns about the SNP’s finances led to the Operation Branchform investigation and the eventual conviction of former chief executive Peter Murrell.

Yes Scotland Ltd, which was launched by former SNP leader and First Minister Alex Salmond to campaign for independence ahead of the referendum, has not been active since 2014.

Its latest set of dormant accounts were published last year, showing a zero balance.

The organisation told the Sunday Mail that all the money is accounted for and there has been no wrongdoing, adding that Murrell had no access to its bank accounts.

Yes Scotland has subsequently pointed BBC Scotland to the audited referendum returns which are available online.

A group of people holding signs saying Yes and Vote No during the referendum campaign.Image source, PA Media

Figures published by the Electoral Commission, external show that Yes Scotland reported receiving donations of more than £2.6m and spent more than £1.4m during the referendum campaign.

The pro-union Better Together campaign reported receiving almost £3.7m in donations and spent more than £1.4m.

BBC Scotland has asked Yes Scotland to provide records of its income and expenditure. As a small company, it is not obligated to publish this information.

The SNP has said Yes Scotland Ltd was an “entirely separate organisation” from the party.

Henry told the Sunday Mail that the campaign company’s accounts from 2016 onward showed a zero balance and £1.5m which was recorded earlier appeared to have “just gone”.

Henry was disqualified from acting as a company director for eight years in 2011. He says this related to a civil matter heard in his absence, and that he declared it to the SNP.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We have received a complaint and inquiries are ongoing.”

‘Incredibly serious allegations’

It comes after former SNP chief executive Peter Murrell was jailed for more than five years after he admitted embezzling more than £400,000 from the party over five years.

Police Scotland and the Crown Office investigated Murrell’s actions in Operation Branchform.

Scottish Labour’s deputy leader Dame Jackie Baillie said: “These are incredibly serious allegations and it is right that they are considered by the police.

“There are still far too many unanswered questions surrounding Peter Murrell’s fraudulent activities and the secrecy of the SNP.

“John Swinney and the SNP need to stop running scared and come clean about these allegations and back a full financial audit of the accounts.”

Scottish Conservative leader Russell Findlay said: “Peter Murrell’s crimes were enabled by the SNP’s toxic culture of control and aggressive aversion to basic levels of scrutiny.

“But John Swinney’s determination to shut down an independent inquiry shows that they haven’t learned any lessons.

“That’s why an inquiry is critical and why these latest allegations should be fully investigated by the police.”

An SNP spokesperson said: “The criminal actions of Peter Murrell were uncovered by a complex and extensive police investigation which found the SNP was the victim of embezzlement.”

Related topics

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Australian police make disgusting discovery on dirty old man’s phone as he arrives at airport after overseas trip

    Allen Roy Murley, 74, jailed for horrific offences  His sick text messages to children are revealed  Do you know more? Email maisy.rae@dailymail.com.au  See more Daily Mail on Google – save…

    ‘Best day of his career!’: Met Police officer drives off in limited edition Ferrari worth £3.7MILLION after it was seized in London

    See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source By TOM LAWRENCE, NEWS REPORTER Published: 20:33 EDT, 8 August 2026 | Updated: 21:09 EDT, 8 August…

    You Missed

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran