Anthony Albanese announces four cargo ships carrying 200million litres of diesel will soon arrive in Australia

By MAISY RAE and NICHOLAS COMINO, POLITICAL REPORTER, AUSTRALIA

Published: | Updated:

Anthony Albanese has announced four cargoes carrying 200 million litres of diesel will soon arrive on Australian shores amid the ongoing fuel crisis. 

Australia has also secured an additional 250,000 tonnes of fertiliser for farmers.  

‘Today I am pleased that Export Finance Australia has been able to work with businesses to secure four additional cargoes of diesel for Australia,’ the Prime Minister told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday. 

‘Combined [an] additional 200 million litres of diesel for use in Australia. Two agreements through BP and two through Viva. 

‘These cargoes coming from South Korea, two of them, one from Brunei and one from Malaysia. Two destinations where I visited last week and partners we are working closely with in the interest of Australians going forward.’

The cargoes are expected to arrive in May or in the first week of June at ports in Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney and Kwinana, near Perth.

Albanese said the government will continue to work with Ampol, Piper Gilles and other fuel suppliers to secure additional fuel supplies in the coming weeks.

He said there are currently 61 ships carrying fuel currently on their way to Australia. 

Anthony Albanese (pictured) has announced four cargoes carrying 200 million litres of diesel will soon arrive on Australian shores amid the ongoing fuel crisis

The cargoes are expected to arrive in May or in the first week of June at ports in Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney and Kwinana, near Perth

It comes one week after Albanese announced Australia had secured an extra 100 million litres of diesel shipments after he held formal talks in Kuala Lumpur.

During Wednesday’s press conference, Albanese downplayed criticisms he received over the announcement, after opposition sources argued the amount represented little more than a single day’s supply.

‘Do you think we should have secured an additional 200 million litres? Or let’s look at the counterfactual, we could be sitting back being critical or we could be out there working hard in the interest of Australians,’ Albanese said. ‘We take the second option.’

When asked by a reporter if Australians are being lulled into a false sense of security over the fuel announcements, Albanese hit back.

‘There is significant volatility — that’s clear. Fuel supply chains operate on long timeframes, often 30 days or more. Infrastructure damage, shipping bottlenecks, and regional instability all create risks,’ he said.

‘What we can control is our response — and that’s why we are doing everything possible to secure supply, work diplomatically to support de‑escalation, and coordinate nationally.’

The PM wouldn’t be drawn on a potential extension to the fuel excise cut, currently legislated until June 30.

‘We’ve been upfront about the uncertainty we face. If anyone here can tell me when the Middle East conflict will end, they’d be the only people in the world who know,’ he said.

During the PM’s press conference at Port Botany, there was a tanker offloading fuel for use in the Sydney market

‘Until then, we will keep acting – not sitting on our hands – and work with states, industry, and international partners to protect Australians.’

CEO of BP, Paul Auge, said the extra cargo will be in addition to five cargoes due to arrive into NSW before the end of May.

In addition to our normal import program into Australia, which will see around 60 cargoes arrive over the coming months, this partnership with the government through the EFA is allowing us to bring additional cargoes into the country to strengthen fuel security,’ Mr Auge said.

‘Behind us is a ship that has come all the way from the United States, from our Cherry Point refinery in Washington State. That again demonstrates the resilience of the supply chains Australia has access to, through a global network and global partnerships.’

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Karmelo Anthony murder trial hears Austin Metcalf’s distressing last words after 17-year-old was stabbed to death at track meet: Live updates

    See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source By RACHEL BOWMAN, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER and KATRINA SCHOLLENBERGER, US HEAD OF LIVE NEWS and MARYANN…

    Poll reveals trust in Anthony Albanese has plunged after he broke a key election promise

    Over 80 per cent say a promise was broken Small businesses lash capital gains tax changes READ MORE: Liberals concede defeat in nail-biting Queensland by-election See more Daily Mail on Google…

    You Missed

    ABC star who made disgraceful Gina Rinehart joke filmed twerking to The Last Post on Anzac Day

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 3 views
    ABC star who made disgraceful Gina Rinehart joke filmed twerking to The Last Post on Anzac Day

    Wild-eyed teenager dressed as clown charged with MURDER after he went door-to-door in chilling ring video as details of elderly neighbor’s death are revealed

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 3 views
    Wild-eyed teenager dressed as clown charged with MURDER after he went door-to-door in chilling ring video as details of elderly neighbor’s death are revealed

    Horrifying discovery as dozens of decomposing bodies found in basement of Chicago funeral home

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 3 views
    Horrifying discovery as dozens of decomposing bodies found in basement of Chicago funeral home

    Wild-eyed boy, 15, dressed as CLOWN went door-to-door in chilling ring video before allegedly murdering elderly neighbor, 78: ‘I’ve got a gift for you’

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Wild-eyed boy, 15, dressed as CLOWN went door-to-door in chilling ring video before allegedly murdering elderly neighbor, 78: ‘I’ve got a gift for you’

    Significant update on Aussie tradie who nearly died after his robot vacuum exploded

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 3 views
    Significant update on Aussie tradie who nearly died after his robot vacuum exploded

    Illegal migrant on track for shockingly early parole after knocking down and killing Arkansas teen, 18, her devastated mom claims

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Illegal migrant on track for shockingly early parole after knocking down and killing Arkansas teen, 18, her devastated mom claims