Harry and Meghan’s movie projects are ‘in limbo’ with $100million Netflix deal left ‘up in the air’, a report claims

Harry and Meghan’s movie projects are ‘in limbo’ as their $100million (£74million) Netflix deal remains ‘up in the air’, a report claims. 

Archewell Productions, the couple’s media company, announced in August 2023 that it was making a film based on Carley Fortune’s novel Meet Me At The Lake.

Netflix purchased the rights to the novel for around £2.2million ($2.9million), but nothing has yet materialised. 

Three years on, the project is said to remain categorised as a development and is lacking in both cast as well as a director. 

Page Six reported insiders as claiming the projects are in limbo. 

‘Three years in development for a movie like this at Netflix isn’t good,’ a Hollywood source was reported as saying. 

Plans for a movie version of Meet Me At The Lake marked a change in direction for the couple away from tell-all documentaries about the Royal Family

The novel, which sold 37,000 copies in its first week, is centred around a couple who first meet in their 30s – just like Meghan and Harry. 

Themes in the book include postnatal depression, mental health and childhood trauma relating to the death of a parent. 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pictured arriving on their tour to Jordan in February

The Duchess of Sussex in her Netflix series With Love, Meghan – which came out in March 2025 

The Sussexes, who recently returned from their tour to Jordan, have also announced their plans for a Netflix version of The Wedding Date, a 2018 novel by American author Jasmine Guillory. 

Harry and Meghan had previously offered the streaming giant a new documentary called Cookie Queen, which was shown at Sundance Film Festival. 

The film was described as ‘a coming-of-age story about the joys, pressures, and pain points woven into one of America’s most cherished rituals: Girl Scout Cookie season.’ 

However, the project is yet to be snapped up by a streamer or a distributor. 

The Sussexes bagged their massive Netflix deal after stepping back at working royals in 2020. 

And while their confessional documentary Harry & Meghan proved to be a huge success, other projects such as Polo – a documentary about the upper-class sport – only attracted 500,000 viewers. 

Last August, the couple signed a new ‘multi-year’ contract with Netflix. 

Meghan and Harry were described as ‘over the moon’ at the news, although it was understood to be far less lucrative than their previous one. 

In a further blow, it emerged in January that the Duchess’s cookery show – With Love, Meghan – would not be returning for a third series on Netflix. 

The series, which offered lifestyle tips from inside a rented £5million mansion near Meghan’s Montecito home, debuted in March 2025.

Archewell Productions, the couple’s media company, announced in August 2023 that it was making a film based on Carley Fortune’s novel Meet Me At The Lake (the author is pictured with the book cover) 

The second season of With Love, Meghan also failed to land in Netflix’s Top 10 US shows in its debut week, according to Forbes. 

Insiders told Page Six that the 44-year-old’s pet project won’t be up for renewal – after the Duchess called it ‘a lot of work’.

One insider claimed: ‘It is not returning as a series. There have been conversations about holiday specials, but there’s nothing in the works yet.’

Another source said: ‘People will see similar cooking and crafting on Meghan’s socials for the brand, but more bite-sized.’

Meghan is said to be concentrating on building her lifestyle brand, As Ever.

However, rumours have circulated that she may produce specials for some holidays, including July 4 – American Independence Day – and Valentine’s Day, but nothing has been confirmed. 

It is understood that timelines for the Sussexes film adaptations partly depend on the writing and packaging process.

Allies of the couple maintain that Archewell Production continues to have a positive relationship with Netflix, as do insiders at the streaming firm. 

The Daily Mail has approached representatives of the Sussexes for comment.  

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Prince Harry makes surprise visit to Ukraine as he urges the world not to forget what the country is up against

    Prince Harry today urged Vladimir Putin to ‘stop this war’ with Ukraine and accused the Russians of carrying out ‘mass killings and torture’ during an unannounced visit to Kyiv. Describing…

    Prince Harry says he ‘will always be part of the royal family’ and claims he is ‘working’ in Ukraine, six years after infamous Megxit split

    Prince Harry vowed he ‘will always be part of the Royal Family’ today as he dismissed a suggestion he was not ‘a working royal’. Six years after ‘Megxit’ when the Duke…

    You Missed

    Massive twist in Dezi Freeman saga as family of slain cop Neal Thompson plan to sue Victoria Police

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Massive twist in Dezi Freeman saga as family of slain cop Neal Thompson plan to sue Victoria Police

    Outraged young woman demands to know why Aussies aren’t more angry as cost-of-living crisis sets up an entire generation for failure

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Outraged young woman demands to know why Aussies aren’t more angry as cost-of-living crisis sets up an entire generation for failure

    Injured motocross rider’s message from hospital after catastrophic accident at the Sydney Royal Easter Show

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Injured motocross rider’s message from hospital after catastrophic accident at the Sydney Royal Easter Show

    Second private school student charged as adult over alleged gang rape of bullied boy on trip, as prosecutors accuse him of using video of alleged assault to taunt victim

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 1 views
    Second private school student charged as adult over alleged gang rape of bullied boy on trip, as prosecutors accuse him of using video of alleged assault to taunt victim

    Kennedy heir Jack Schlossberg insists being from America’s most famous political family doesn’t give him any advantage at all as he runs for Congress

    • By admin
    • May 21, 2026
    • 2 views
    Kennedy heir Jack Schlossberg insists being from America’s most famous political family doesn’t give him any advantage at all as he runs for Congress

    Trump says Iranian civilians want America to unleash military power as he threatens to wipe out ‘every power plant’ and leave no bridges standing

    Trump says Iranian civilians want America to unleash military power as he threatens to wipe out ‘every power plant’ and leave no bridges standing