One ‘party state’: Guinea dissolves main opposition parties

Decree strips parties of legal status and assets, as opposition leader calls on Guineans to resist

Guinea’s government has dissolved 40 political parties, including the country’s three main opposition groups, in a move critics say marks the final step towards a one-party state under President Mamady Doumbouya.

The Ministry of Territorial Administration and Decentralisation issued the decree late on Friday, citing the parties’ failure to meet their legal obligations.

Recommended Stories

list of 2 items

end of list

Beyond stripping them of their legal status, the order froze their assets and banned the use of their names, logos and emblems, with a government-appointed curator assigned to oversee the transfer of their holdings.

The three most prominent parties dissolved are the Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG), the Rally of the Guinean People (RPG) – the party of ousted former President Alpha Condé – and the Union of Republican Forces (UFR).

All three had already been suspended last August, weeks before a constitutional referendum that cleared the way for Doumbouya to stand in December’s presidential election.

UFDG leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, speaking from exile, accused Doumbouya of dismantling democratic life to entrench his grip on power. In a video posted to Facebook on Sunday, he said the dissolution was part of a deliberate drive to build a “party-state” and urged supporters to “rise as one” against a government that had lasted “far too long”.

He said that dialogue and legal routes had been exhausted, while his party’s communications coordinator went further, describing the decree as “the final act of a true political farce” aimed at cementing single-party rule.

Ibrahima Diallo, a leader in the pro-democracy National Front for the Defence of the Constitution, said the move had “formalised a dictatorship” and warned that Guinea was sinking into “profound uncertainty”.

The crackdown is the latest in a sustained campaign against dissent under Doumbouya, who seized power in a 2021 coup before winning a presidential election in December, a vote from which all major opposition figures were barred.

Since taking power, his government has shut down media outlets, banned protests and arrested or driven into exile scores of opposition figures and civil society activists.

Several relatives of prominent dissidents have also been abducted, and two well-known pro-democracy activists have been missing since July 2024.

Wave of coups

A wave of coups has brought military leaders to power in Africa, across a belt stretching from the Atlantic through the Sahel region to the Red Sea since 2020, while an attempted coup in Benin failed in late 2025.

The development has led to what analysts have described as a “coup belt“.

Madagascar’s and Guinea-Bissau’s armies most recently removed civilian leaders in their respective countries from power in late 2025, underscoring growing discontent with elected governments.

Although often carried out with popular backing, the military takeovers have also seen civil liberties clawed back.

A 2025 study found that while military takeovers have declined globally, the risk of coups in Africa remains comparatively high.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Aussie state considers building its own fuel reserves

    WA looks to build own fuel reserves Queensland pushes to reopen oil fields  By NICHOLAS COMINO, POLITICAL REPORTER, AUSTRALIA and AARON BUNCH FOR AAP Published: 03:04 EDT, 13 April 2026…

    ‘State of war’: Why Israel has escalated attacks in Gaza

    Israel has escalated its attacks on the Gaza Strip in the past week, with at least four Palestinians killed across the devastated enclave, including a 40-year-old woman in Khan Younis,…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii