Elite airborne British Army regiment the Paras face being sent into battle without parachutes under new cost-cutting measures

By BRENDAN CARLIN

Published: | Updated:

They have a reputation for daring and courage – seeing heroic action in Normandy, Arnhem, the Falklands and Afghanistan.

But the future of the legendary ‘Paras’ could be under threat from cost-cutting measures, which astonishingly include being forced to ditch their parachutes, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Instead of leaping out of RAF transport planes, the elite Parachute Regiment would deploy to frontline action in helicopters.

The plans – apparently dreamt up by RAF chiefs to save money – were last night branded ‘strategic and operational madness’.

Tobias Ellwood, a former Tory Defence Minister, said: ‘No aircraft means no training, no mass jumps, no airborne infantry – the slow death of the most elite line regiment in the British Army.

‘With increasing global uncertainty, this is not the way to prepare for possible war.’

He also suggested that RAF chiefs’ real motive for asking for the cuts was because the huge A400M transport planes – which have replaced the smaller C-130 Hercules aircraft – were not suited to parachute drops.

However, that was disputed by one former paratrooper, who insisted the new aircraft were ‘cleared for parachuting last year’.

The future of the legendary ‘Paras’ could be under threat from cost-cutting measures, which astonishingly include being forced to ditch their parachutes (Stock image) 

Instead of leaping out of RAF transport planes, the elite Parachute Regiment would deploy to frontline action in helicopters. Pictured: Paratroopers from the British, Belgian, Canadian and US military reenact the D-Day landings during the 80th anniversary in 2024

The hugely controversial cut-back is understood to have been proposed as part of the Government’s long-delayed Defence Investment Plan (DIP).

That plan, originally due for publication last autumn, has still not been published amid warnings that the Ministry of Defence is short of billions of pounds over the next four years. 

A source said the RAF had asked for the Paras to no longer jump from its A400M planes on the grounds that there are simply not enough of the aircraft.

Last night, one former senior Parachute Regiment officer said: ‘While technically, you can parachute from a ‘copter, in practice you wouldn’t want to.

‘Combat troop-carrying helicopters often fly low to evade radar and, critically, they do not have the capacity or the flying endurance that the A400M offers to lift large numbers of paratroopers.

‘In effect, this cut-back would ground the Parachute Regiment and rule out any future mass parachute drop by British forces.’

Axing parachuting would allegedly save the RAF more than £15 million a year as it would no longer have to provide the ‘chutes’ and specialist training of pilots and aircrew, as well as the training of paratroopers.

The A400Ms are said to be in constant demand flying to the Falklands, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Poland, Estonia, USA, Australia, Kenya, Oman, Jordan and Norway.

Tobias Ellwood, a former Tory Defence Minister, who last night criticised plans to send the legendary Parachute Regiment into battle without parachutes

It is not the first time the Paras – whose motto is Utrinque Paratus (Ready for Anything) – have been caught in a row about lack of planes. 

Ahead of the D-Day commemorations in 2024, this newspaper revealed how a mass parachute drop over Normandy was under threat after the RAF was allocated just one A400M.

It went ahead after then Defence Secretary Grant Shapps intervened to get more aircraft.

An MoD spokesman added: ‘The DIP will set out the MoD’s plans to ensure resources are directed effectively to meet its priorities and deliver value for taxpayers.’

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Hundreds of elite Afghan troops who fought against the Taliban with British forces set for UK refuge at last after being denied asylum

    Get your news delivered straight to you by 7am – sign up to our new Morning Mail newsletter for FREE  By DAVID WILLIAMS and SAM GREENHILL, THE CHIEF REPORTER Published:…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii