Trump casually confirms first land strike on plant in Venezuela: ‘We knocked that out’

By KATELYN CARALLE, SENIOR U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

Donald Trump gave a nonchalant confirmation of the first US land strike in Venezuela during a radio interview last week that received little attention. 

The President said that the Christmas Eve strike was on a facility ‘where the ship comes from’ – seemingly referencing the origination location of the alleged drug vessels that the US military has been targeting in the Caribbean and Atlantic over the last three months.

Speaking on WABC on December 26, Trump made the bombshell suggestion that US forces have already started conducting land operations in Venezuela. 

‘I don’t know if you read or you saw, they have a big plant or a big facility where they send the – where the ships come from,’ the President said during a call-in with radio host and billionaire John Catsimatidis, who was filling in for Sid Rosenberg.

‘Two nights ago we knocked that out – so we hit them very hard,’ Trump confirmed.

On Monday afternoon, following the Daily Mail’s reporting of the under-the-radar strike, Trump definitively confirmed the launch of land strikes in the region, saying that the US hit ‘the dock area where they load the boats up with drugs.’ 

Asked whether it was the US Military or CIA forces, Trump said: ‘I don’t want to say that – I know exactly who it was.’

The President said since late November that the US is shifting away from maritime attacks on drug boats and will ‘soon’ be conducting land strikes in Venezuela. 

President Donald Trump appeared to casually confirm that the US has begun land strikes in Venezuela by detailing a strike carried out on a ‘facility’ there on Christmas Eve

The latest is part of a continued campaign to apply pressure on Venezuelan socialist leader Nicolas Maduro, as boat strikes didn’t appear to work to deter the so-called narco regime from continuing operations. 

The exact target of the Christmas Eve operation was not clear at first, and it remains unknown which US forces or government entities were involved after Trump declined to say if it was military or CIA. 

Trump did confirm, however, that the explosion was along the shore of Venezuela.  

A video posted to X last week showed a large explosion in the Zulia state of Venezuela near the second-largest city in the country, Maracaibo.

The state’s San Francisco municipality sits on the western shore of the strait that connects Lake Maracaibo to the Gulf of Venezuela.

Zulia-based journalist Jhorman Cruz took the video of a massive fire with resulting explosions in the early hours of December 24. After it gained some traction on social media, Cruz downplayed that it could have been a US military strike.

‘It is prudent to say that we still do not know what started the fire,’ he wrote on X, according to a translation of his original post. ‘Residents DID NOT see anything unusual, nor drones, nor cars, nor the presence of foreigners.’

‘Be careful with strange hypotheses,’ the El Público TV director warned.

The White House and Pentagon did not immediately respond to the Daily Mail’s request for clarification of the President’s comments. 

Since September, the Department of War has been conducting maritime strikes on suspected drug vessels, killing 105

Starting on September 2, 2025, the Department of War has been conducting strikes against suspected drug ships in the Caribbean and Atlantic. 

The operations have killed more than 105 people and are aimed at trafficking routes the US says are to blame for a huge spike in overdose deaths.

But Trump has said that land targets are ‘much easier’ and has hinted at the shift with statements like: ‘land strikes will start very soon’ and ‘soon we will be starting the same program on land.’

He has also warned Maduro it would be ‘smart’ to step down, but has not gone as far as to confirm that the US military operations are to force regime change.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    President Donald Trump has urged people to ‘pray for the victims’ following a mass shooting at Brown University in Rhode Island on Saturday. The campus in Providence was placed on lockdown…

    Trump orders ‘total and complete’ blockade of all oil tankers bound for Venezuela while warning Maduro with ‘largest Armada ever assembled’

    Donald Trump has declared the Venezuelan regime a foreign terrorist organization and ordered ‘a total and complete blockade’ of sanctioned oil tankers headed to and from the country. The president’s…

    You Missed

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’