Anthony Joshua is discharged from hospital on New Year’s Eve after horror crash in Nigeria: Boxing star heads straight to funeral home to pay tribute to best friends who died in tragedy

Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital late on New Year’s Eve – and paid an emotional visit to a funeral home to pay his respects to his two close friends who killed in a horror car crash.

The former wolrd heavyweight boxing champion, 36, cheated death in Monday’s death crach in Nigeria.

He was being treated for his injuries at the Duchess International Hospital in Lagos, which has been rated the best private hospital in Nigeria for the past two years. 

It’s understood Joshua escaped the crash with no broken bones and is back at his home in Nigeria recovering.

His friends Kevin Latif Ayodele and Sina Ghami were killed instantly after the Lexus SUV they were all travelling in ploughed into a stationary truck on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in Makun, Nigeria. Their bodies will now be repatriated to the UK.

A source close to Joshua told the Daily Mail: ‘Anthony will stay in Nigeria for the next few days and recover at home there.’

It comes after the Mail revealed how the driver of the truck which Joshua’s SUV ploughed into has vanished, sparking a police manhunt. 

Nigerian police confirmed that the man, who is in his 30s, but is not being named, is wanted in connection with the fatal crash.

Anthony Joshua (pictured after crash) was discharged from hospital late on New Year’s Eve 

The truck that the Lexus crashed into is pictured here 

They also confirmed that the truck had been parked on the hard shoulder of the road north of the capital Lagos illegally.

And in a further development, the driver of the Lexus carrying Joshua is also being probed by cops for speeding and could face prosecution for reckless driving following Monday’s crash.

Officers at the Sagamu car pound near to the scene of the tragedy showed the Daily Mail the wrecked HGV which had been towed to the site just a few hours earlier.

Stored in a secluded part of the compound – the soya bean truck which is registered to a firm in Lagos still bears the scars of the crash which saw Joshua come within inches of losing his life.

The truck has damage to the drivers side where the Lexus smashed head-on and is covered in police tape, but the driver is still a fugitive.

‘He was parked on the side of the highway which is illegal, he had not broken down and he was not with the vehicle when the accident happened,’ said a Nigerian officer at the pound.

Ghami and Ayodele – both 36 – were part of Joshua’s inner circle and had travelled with the boxer to Nigeria just over a week after he pocketed a reputed £75m for his victorious fight with YouTuber Jake Paul.

Anthony Joshua, 36, appeared dazed as he sat in a wrecked Lexus SUV among shattered glass

Joshua was in a horrific car crash that killed two of his best friends in Nigeria on Monday

The driver of the car could be prosecuted, according to reports in the Nigerian media

This comes as police also focus on the Lexus driver as part of the investigation who they say was driving in excess of the 100kph speed limit before the crash on one of Nigeria’s deadliest roads.

Eyewitnesses describe the accident as sounding like a ‘bomb had gone off’ and cops say a tyre burst on the SUV before the crash.

An eyewitness has also told Punch newspaper: ‘It was a two-vehicle convoy: a Lexus SUV and a Pajero SUV.

‘Joshua was seated behind the driver, with another person beside him. There was also a passenger sitting beside the driver, making four occupants in the Lexus that crashed. His security detail was in the vehicle behind them before the crash.

Ghami and Ayodele – died sitting just inches away from him, adding to the dozens who have been killed on the road in recent months – making the boxer’s survival all the more astonishing.

The numbers paint a grim picture of the perils on Nigeria’s most dangerous road, with 73 deaths along that 127.6km (79-mile) stretch – 60km (37 miles) shorter than the M25 – in just three months earlier this year.

Over the past 27 months, 11,396 people have been involved in 1,557 crashes on the Expressway, including 645 fatalities and 3,964 injured.

Nine were killed in one accident in February alone, while four people died in a crash along the stretch in March.

At least 1,593 people died on Nigeria’s roads in the first quarter of 2025 – just nine fewer than the number of fatalities in the UK across the entirety of 2024.

The stretch of road the accident happened on is notorious and the Daily Mail drove along it on the way to Sagamu and was shocked by the driving. 

He is later seen sitting in the front seat of an emergency vehicle, speaking to officials. Joshua sustained minor injuries and two others were pronounced dead at the scene

Joshua pictured with friends Latif Ayodele (centre) and Sina Ghami who both died in the crash

Joshua had posted a story on his Instagram account just hours before the fatal accident, where he is seen topless in a video playing table tennis with his long-time friend Ayodele

Lane discipline was completely ignored as was the 100kph speed limit and although the three-lane carriageway was in a good condition the hard shoulder was regularly blocked with vehicles and stalls.

Pedestrians took life into their own hands as they ambled across the motorway dodging speeding cars and there was a constant cacophony of klaxons.

The condition of some vehicles was eye opening with many battered and some held together with ropes and cables and several times cars drove the wrong way along the hard shoulder.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Karmelo Anthony murder trial hears Austin Metcalf’s distressing last words after 17-year-old was stabbed to death at track meet: Live updates

    See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source By RACHEL BOWMAN, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER and KATRINA SCHOLLENBERGER, US HEAD OF LIVE NEWS and MARYANN…

    Poll reveals trust in Anthony Albanese has plunged after he broke a key election promise

    Over 80 per cent say a promise was broken Small businesses lash capital gains tax changes READ MORE: Liberals concede defeat in nail-biting Queensland by-election See more Daily Mail on Google…

    You Missed

    ABC star who made disgraceful Gina Rinehart joke filmed twerking to The Last Post on Anzac Day

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 9 views
    ABC star who made disgraceful Gina Rinehart joke filmed twerking to The Last Post on Anzac Day

    Wild-eyed teenager dressed as clown charged with MURDER after he went door-to-door in chilling ring video as details of elderly neighbor’s death are revealed

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 8 views
    Wild-eyed teenager dressed as clown charged with MURDER after he went door-to-door in chilling ring video as details of elderly neighbor’s death are revealed

    Horrifying discovery as dozens of decomposing bodies found in basement of Chicago funeral home

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 8 views
    Horrifying discovery as dozens of decomposing bodies found in basement of Chicago funeral home

    Wild-eyed boy, 15, dressed as CLOWN went door-to-door in chilling ring video before allegedly murdering elderly neighbor, 78: ‘I’ve got a gift for you’

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 8 views
    Wild-eyed boy, 15, dressed as CLOWN went door-to-door in chilling ring video before allegedly murdering elderly neighbor, 78: ‘I’ve got a gift for you’

    Significant update on Aussie tradie who nearly died after his robot vacuum exploded

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 8 views
    Significant update on Aussie tradie who nearly died after his robot vacuum exploded

    Illegal migrant on track for shockingly early parole after knocking down and killing Arkansas teen, 18, her devastated mom claims

    • By poster
    • August 17, 2026
    • 8 views
    Illegal migrant on track for shockingly early parole after knocking down and killing Arkansas teen, 18, her devastated mom claims