Trump reveals he has cancelled ‘previously expected second wave of attacks’ on Venezuela after release of political prisoners from brutal jail

By PERKIN AMALARAJ, FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

Donald Trump has revealed he has cancelled a ‘previously expected second wave of attacks’ against Venezuela, following the release of political prisoners from one of the country’s most notorious jails. 

Trump took to Truth Social to praise Venezuela’s actions, following last Saturday’s unprecedented incursion into the country that saw American forces kidnap leader Nicola Maduro and his wife.

Trump said: ‘The U.S.A. and Venezuela are working well together, especially as it pertains to rebuilding, in a much bigger, better, and more modern form, their oil and gas infrastructure. 

‘Because of this cooperation, I have cancelled the previously expected second Wave of Attacks, which looks like it will not be needed, however, all ships will stay in place for safety and security purposes’.

Overnight, the Venezuelan government announced it had begun releasing detainees considered political prisoners in what officials described as a gesture of goodwill. 

The release of these prisoners has long been a demand of the US, though exact figures aren’t currently known. Spain‘s foreign ministry confirmed that five of its citizens had been released. 

Among them being prominent Venezuelan-Spanish lawyer, activist and human rights defender Rocío San Miguel who authorities claimed plotted to assassinate Maduro.

Jorge Rodríguez , the head of Venezuela’s National Assembly and the brother of its interim president Delcy Rodríguez said the interim government was releasing them in the interest of ‘national unity and peaceful coexistence’. 

Up to 80 prisoners are believed to be held at the infamous El Helicoide prison, which Trump announced, following Maduro’s capture, would be closed. 

Donald Trump has revealed he has cancelled a ‘previously expected second wave of attacks’ against Venezuela

Relatives of political prisoners wait outside El Helicoide prison in Caracas, Venezuela, January 8, 2026

The prison is notorious for being the home of political opponents to the government, with human rights groups claiming they were electrocuted and beaten by guards. 

Venezuela’s opposition leader, Nobel Peace Prize winner María Corina Machado,  lauded the release of the political prisoners in an audio message posted to social media: ‘This is an important day because it shows what we have always known: that injustice will not last forever and that truth, although it be wounded, ends up finding its way.’

But Venezuelan human rights group Provea warned that the expected closure of El Helicoide should not be used to deflect attention from the other prisons still running across the country. 

Human rights groups believe that up to 1,000 people are being held in Venezuelan prisons as political prisoners, most of them having been detained for taking part in protests following the 2024 election that Maduro is widely believed to have stolen. 

The latest release of the prisoners is being treated with caution by many. Venezuelan authorities promised to release 187 people – 99 on Christmas Day and 88 on New Year’s Day – before the American incursion. 

But human rights groups were only able to confirm the release of a small portion of these people.  

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump unleashes on Democrats for letting Haitian migrant accused of brutal killing of Florida mom into US as he shares shocking attack video

    President Donald Trump unleashed on Democrats as he shared a horrific video of an illegal immigrant beating a woman to death with a hammer outside a gas station. Rolbert Joachin, 40,…

    Trump gives Iran new two-day ultimatum as ceasefire holds steady amid blockade… and he surges more US troops into Middle East

    Donald Trump has imposed a 48-hour deadline to bring the war with Iran to an end even as the Pentagon surges thousands of fresh troops to the Middle East. The President said…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii