Trump ‘inclined’ to keep ExxonMobil out of Venezuela after CEO response at White House meeting

President Donald Trump says he is “inclined” to keep ExxonMobil out of Venezuela after its top executive was skeptical about oil investment efforts in the country after the toppling of former President Nicolás Maduro

BySEUNG MIN KIM Associated Press and JULIA NIKHINSON Associated Press

January 11, 2026, 7:45 PM

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE — President Donald Trump said Sunday that he is “inclined” to keep ExxonMobil out of Venezuela after its top executive was skeptical about oil investment efforts in the country after the toppling of former President Nicolás Maduro.

“I didn’t like Exxon’s response,” Trump said to reporters on Air Force One as he departed West Palm Beach, Florida. “They’re playing too cute.”

During a meeting Friday with oil executives, Trump tried to assuage the concerns of the companies and said they would be dealing directly with the U.S., rather than the Venezuelan government.

Some, however, weren’t convinced.

“If we look at the commercial constructs and frameworks in place today in Venezuela, today it’s uninvestable,” said Darren Woods, CEO of ExxonMobil, the largest U.S. oil company.

An ExxonMobil spokesperson did not immediately respond Sunday to a request for comment.

Also on Friday, Trump signed an executive order that seeks to ensure that Venezuelan oil revenue remains protected from being used in judicial proceedings.

Popular Reads

The executive order, made public on Saturday, says that if the funds were to be seized for such use, it could “undermine critical U.S. efforts to ensure economic and political stability in Venezuela.” Venezuela has a history of state asset seizures, ongoing U.S. sanctions and decades of political uncertainty.

Getting U.S. oil companies to invest in Venezuela and help rebuild the country’s infrastructure is a top priority of the Trump administration after Maduro’s capture.

The White House is framing the effort to “run” Venezuela in economic terms, and Trump has seized tankers carrying Venezuelan oil, has said the U.S. is taking over the sales of 30 million to 50 million barrels of previously sanctioned Venezuelan crude, and plans to control sales worldwide indefinitely.

___

Kim reported from West Palm Beach, Florida.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump orders ‘total and complete’ blockade of all oil tankers bound for Venezuela while warning Maduro with ‘largest Armada ever assembled’

    Donald Trump has declared the Venezuelan regime a foreign terrorist organization and ordered ‘a total and complete blockade’ of sanctioned oil tankers headed to and from the country. The president’s…

    Donald Trump celebrates Hanukkah with Laura Loomer and by telling White House guests Ilhan Omar ‘hates Jewish people’

    President Donald Trump marked the third night of Hanukkah by celebrating at the White House with conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer and other, less controversial, allies in the Jewish community.  ‘I…

    You Missed

    Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of the victims killed in the Bondi Beach shooting

    Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of the victims killed in the Bondi Beach shooting

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    Brown University gunman drove to Rhode Island with laser-reinforced firearm before wreaking chaos: Live updates

    Brown University gunman drove to Rhode Island with laser-reinforced firearm before wreaking chaos: Live updates

    He was a trusted elementary teacher who played Santa Claus but the ‘sick’ St Nick hid a ‘dark secret’

    He was a trusted elementary teacher who played Santa Claus but the ‘sick’ St Nick hid a ‘dark secret’

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    Roommate of second Brown University shooting victim mourns ‘ball of joy’ neuroscience major killed in gunfire

    • By poster
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Roommate of second Brown University shooting victim mourns ‘ball of joy’ neuroscience major killed in gunfire