Lebanon claims first phase of Hezbollah’s disarmament close to complete

The PM says the part of the plan on south of the Litani River is ‘only days away from completion’.

Lebanon is close to completing the disarmament of Hezbollah in the south of the Litani River before a year-end deadline as part of a ceasefire deal with Israel, according to Prime Minister Nawaf Salam.

Saturday’s statement comes as the country races to fulfil the key demand in the US-backed deal agreed in November last year and ended more than a year of fighting between Israel and Hezbollah.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

The agreement requires the disarmament of the Iran-aligned Lebanese armed group, starting in areas south of the river adjacent to Israel.

Lebanese authorities, led by President Joseph Aoun and Salam, tasked the US-backed Lebanese army on August 5 with devising a plan to establish a state monopoly on arms by the end of the year.

“Prime Minister Salam affirmed that the first phase of the weapons consolidation plan related to the area south of the Litani River is only days away from completion,” a statement from his office said.

“The state is ready to move on to the second phase – namely [confiscating weapons] north of the Litani River – based on the plan prepared by the Lebanese army pursuant to a mandate from the government,” Salam added.

Committee meeting

The statement came after Salam held talks with Simon Karam, Lebanon’s top civilian negotiator on a committee overseeing the Hezbollah-Israel truce.

In a meeting on Friday, the committee focused on how to return displaced people to their homes, addressing civilian issues to help prevent renewed war if the year-end deadline to disarm Hezbollah is not met.

The 15th meeting of the committee reflected a longstanding US push to broaden talks between the sides beyond monitoring the 2024 ceasefire.

At Friday’s meeting in the southern Lebanese coastal town of Naqoura, civilian participants discussed steps to support safe returns of residents uprooted by the 2023-24 war and advance economic reconstruction, the US Embassy in Beirut said.

Since the ceasefire, Israeli warplanes have repeatedly targeted parts of Lebanon, mostly southern Lebanon, but sometimes even the capital.

Israel says it is questioning the Lebanese army’s efforts to disarm Hezbollah.

Hezbollah, a Shia Muslim armed group, has tried to resist the pressure – from its mainly Christian and Sunni Muslim opponents in Lebanon as well as from the US and Saudi Arabia – to disarm, saying it would be a mistake while Israel continues its air strikes on the country.

Israel has publicly urged Lebanese authorities to fulfil the conditions of the truce, saying it will act “as necessary” if Lebanon fails to take steps against Hezbollah.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Iran war live: Lebanon truce extended; Trump says time not on Tehran’s side

    These were the updates on the US-Israel war on Iran and Israel’s attacks on Lebanon for Friday, April 24, 2026. This live page is now closed. You can continue to…

    Russia claims Ukraine-linked bomb plot foiled, German woman arrested

    Russia’s FSB accused the woman, found with a bomb in her backpack, of taking part in a plot hatched by Ukraine. Russian authorities say they have thwarted a Ukraine-linked bomb…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese to deliver address to the nation TONIGHT as he makes urgent plea to all Australians: ‘Play their part’

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Anthony Albanese to deliver address to the nation TONIGHT as he makes urgent plea to all Australians: ‘Play their part’

    Labour could lose ‘well over’ 1,000 councillors -elections continues, say top pollsters

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Labour could lose ‘well over’ 1,000 councillors -elections continues, say top pollsters

    President Trump announces an ‘Address to the Nation’ on Iran

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    President Trump announces an ‘Address to the Nation’ on Iran

    The fatal hospital blunder that cost young tradie, 22, his life

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    The fatal hospital blunder that cost young tradie, 22, his life

    Sacked BBC star Scott Mills admitted pinning an ex-boyfriend to the wall by his throat after he betrayed him and found him in bed with his friend

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Sacked BBC star Scott Mills admitted pinning an ex-boyfriend to the wall by his throat after he betrayed him and found him in bed with his friend

    World’s oldest known tortoise dies aged 193: Jonathan

    • By admin
    • May 23, 2026
    • 2 views
    World’s oldest known tortoise dies aged 193: Jonathan