British father was unlawfully killed by an Iranian drone while on an empty oil tanker in the Middle East, inquest rules

By NOOR QURASHI, NEWS REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

A British father was unlawfully killed by an Iranian drone that struck the empty oil tanker he was on in the Middle East, an inquest has heard.

Adrian Underwood had been working as a security officer when the vessel was attacked in August 2021 off the coast of Oman.

The 44-year-old was a veteran soldier who had joined a maritime security agency just a year earlier.

The motive behind the strike is still unknown but an inquest heard it could have been due to its Israeli ownership.

Hampshire, Portsmouth and Southampton Area Coroner Jason Pegg said the attack left Mr Underwood with fatal head, neck and chest injuries.

A post-mortem report from pathologist Dr Delaney said the injuries, caused by an explosion, were ‘clearly irreversible’.

The court heard the tanker, Mercer Street, which was carrying no cargo at the time of the attack, was built in Japan in 2013 and was owned by an Israeli-based family.

The ship sailed under the flag of Liberia and was managed by Zodiac Maritime.

Adrian Underwood (pictured) had been working as a security officer when the vessel was attacked in August 2021 off the coast of Oman

The 44-year-old was a veteran soldier who had joined a maritime security agency just a year earlier

Detective Sergeant Shane Gaughan, the case officer investigating Mr Underwood’s death, said there had never been any ‘substantive evidence’ to explain why the vessel was targeted.

He added there had been speculation that it could have been due to the Israeli link, or even targeted by mistake, but there was ‘no evidence’ to prove either theory.

DS Gaughan said there was ‘no evidence that it was at more risk than any other vessel, other than Israeli ownership, but that is speculation, not evidence’.

He explained that three drone strikes were recorded in total throughout the day, and that crew members had reported hearing ‘whizzing’ noises in the distance.

The third strike targeted the vessel and killed Mr Underwood, the inquest heard.

The United States Navy’s USS Ronald Reagan recovered UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) parts, which were sent for examination at RAF Porton Down, Wilts.

It is believed that the drone that killed Mr Underwood was a Shahed 136 kamikaze drone, commonly used by Iran.

Mr Underwood, originally from Fiji, trained at the School of Artillery in Larkhill, Wiltshire, and served in Afghanistan in 2009, before transferring to the 32nd Royal Artillery and eventually taking voluntary army redundancy in 2013.

He went on to become a telecoms engineer in Andover, Hampshire.

Mr Underwood switched careers to join maritime security company Ambrey, training in Southampton, Hants, in 2020 before quickly being promoted to team leader.

The inquest heard he was in ‘good spirits’ and ‘loved his job’, and he did not have ‘any concerns whatsoever’ about the work.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    This is the moment a British holidaymaker and her friends took shelter as two terrorists opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people celebrating a Jewish holiday.  Footage shared by Grace…

    British family are accused of wheeling a DEAD grandmother on to easyJet flight from Spain after ‘telling cabin crew she was tired’

    An elderly British passenger was wheeled onto an easyJet flight from Málaga, Spain, to Gatwick when she was already dead, horrified holidaymakers have claimed. The 89-year-old was helped on board the…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen