Int’l Criminal Court says Libyan war crimes suspect now in custody

Khaled Mohamed Ali El Hishri allegedly committed serious crimes at Libya’s Mitiga Prison from 2015 to 2020, The Hague-based ICC says.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) says it has taken Khaled Mohamed Ali El Hishri, who is wanted for allegedly committing crimes against humanity and war crimes in Libya between 2015 and 2020, into custody.

El Hishri was “surrendered to the custody” of the court in The Hague, the Netherlands, on Monday, by authorities in Germany, where he was arrested on July 16 this year.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items

end of list

“Mr El Hishri is alleged to have been one of the most senior Mitiga Prison officials, where thousands of persons were detained for prolonged periods,” the ICC said in a statement.

“He is suspected of having committed directly himself, ordered or overseen crimes against humanity and war crimes, including murder, torture, rape and sexual violence, allegedly committed in Libya from February 2015 to early 2020,” the court said.

The ICC has been investigating alleged crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in Libya since March 2011, following a request from the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

Situation in #Libya: Khaled Mohamed Ali El Hishri is in #ICC custody, at the ICC Detention Centre in The Hague (Netherlands). A hearing will be scheduled in due course for Mr El Hishri’s initial appearance before the Court. Learn more ⤵️ https://t.co/6kvEZ6Ei1Y

— Int’l Criminal Court (@IntlCrimCourt) December 1, 2025

El Hishri’s transfer to the ICC’s custody comes a week after the court’s deputy prosecutor, Nazhat Shameem Khan, briefed the 15-member UNSC in New York on the details of the ongoing case, saying that “there is a new momentum towards justice in Libya”.

“For too long, crimes committed in detention facilities in … Libya have represented a no-go area for accountability,” she told the UNSC. But she added that the court has been facing “unprecedented headwinds”, including intimidation of its officials.

“It is the victims of murder, sexual violence, torture and the other most serious crimes addressed by our Court that stand to lose the most from these coercive actions,” she said.

Although Libya is not a party to the Rome Statute, the treaty which created the ICC, it has accepted the court’s jurisdiction over its territory from 2011 to the end of 2027, as of May this year.

The ICC still has nine other outstanding arrest warrants in relation to the same case, including for former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s son, Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi, and Chief of Judicial Police Osama Elmasry Njeem.

Njeem was detained in Italy in January this year, but within a few days, he was reportedly released and transferred back to Libya, where he faced arrest last month, according to media reports.

The ICC released a statement at the time of Njeem’s release from Italian detention, reminding governments that are party to the Rome Statute, which includes Italy, “to cooperate fully with the Court in its investigations and prosecutions of crimes”.

Established in 2002, the ICC is responsible for prosecuting individuals wanted for serious crimes, including war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The court relies on cooperation from its member states to enforce its decisions.

Unlike the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which is also located in the Netherlands, the ICC is not part of the UN.INTERACTIVE - ICJ vs ICC-1704875400

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Criminal investigation launched into Renee Good’s wife for ‘impeding’ ICE agents before shooting

    Federal officials have launched an investigation into Renee Good’s partner following accusations that she impeded an ICE agent in the moments before her wife’s death, sources say.  Good, 37, was…

    ‘War criminal not welcome’: Australians rally against Israeli president

    Police in the Australian city of Sydney have used pepper spray against pro-Palestine protesters who have rallied against a visit by Israeli President Isaac Herzog. A journalist with the AFP…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii