Demonstrators call for governor’s resignation after deadly Rio police raid

Protesters marched in Vila Cruzeiro, where days earlier residents laid out dozens of bodies of people killed by police.

Hundreds of protesters have marched through one of the favelas targeted in the deadliest police raid in Rio de Janeiro’s history, calling for Rio state Governor Claudio Castro to resign.

The vocal group of demonstrators gathered on Friday in Vila Cruzeiro, part of the Penha complex of favelas that came under assault, to voice their fury at this week’s police operation that killed at least 121 people, including four police officers.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

Some 2,500 police and soldiers stormed the favelas – low-income and crowded neighbourhoods built on steep hillsides – across Rio on Tuesday, targeting notorious gang Comando Vermelho (Red Command) in the Complexo de Alemao and Complexo da Penha favelas.

The officers, backed by armoured vehicles and helicopters, drew retaliation from gang members, sparking scenes of chaos across the city.

The stated objective was to capture gang leaders and challenge Red Command’s territorial expansion. The group has increased its control over the city’s favelas and other areas in recent years.

Authorities initially claimed only 64 people had been killed, but the next day, residents found dozens of bodies in a nearby wooded area.

Relatives mourn beside the bodies of people killed the day before during a police raid targeting the Comando Vermelho gang in the Complexo da Penha favela of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)
Relatives mourn beside the bodies of people killed the day before during a police raid targeting the Comando Vermelho gang in the Complexo da Penha favela of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on October 29 [Silvia Izquierdo/AP Photo]

Locals, politicians, activists, along with grieving mothers who lost their sons in previous operations, voiced their anger as they gathered in Vila Cruzeiro, where days earlier, residents had laid out dozens of dead bodies following the raid.

Much of the fury was directed towards Rio state’s right-wing Governor Castro, with protesters calling him an “assassin”.

“Out with Castro, stop the massacres!” protesters chanted, demanding the governor’s resignation or that he be sent to prison.

“Assassinating young people in favelas isn’t public policy. It’s a massacre,” said local councilwoman Monica Benicio.

Castro deemed the operation a “success” against “narco-terrorists”, claiming those killed were criminals who resisted police. The state government claimed that of the 99 suspects identified so far, 42 had outstanding arrest warrants, while at least 78 had extensive criminal records.

One sign at Friday’s protest read, “120 lives lost is not a success,” while another declared, “Castro has blood on his hands.”

Many also condemned the state in which the bodies were found. At least one body was reportedly decapitated, while others were found with puncture wounds or tied up.

The death toll, the highest ever in a Rio police operation, prompted condemnation from rights groups and the United Nations. Human Rights Watch denounced the “disastrous operation” and called for Brazilian authorities to “ensure a prompt, thorough, and independent investigation of each of the killings”.

Brazil’s Supreme Court and lawmakers have also ordered Castro to provide detailed information on how the operation was carried out. Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes has scheduled a hearing with Castro and the heads of the military and civil police on November 3.

Castro has accused the administration of leftist President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva of being soft on crime, saying the federal government has abandoned Rio in its fight against gangs.

Amid the criticism, Lula said on X on Friday that he had submitted a bill to parliament proposing a minimum 30-year prison sentence for gang members.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Governors of Western states give mixed reactions to proposed federal land sell-off

    A Republican-sponsored proposal before Congress to mandate the sale of federal public lands is getting a mixed reception from the governors of Western states ByMORGAN LEE Associated Press SANTA FE,…

    Pro-Palestine demonstrators march on Eurovision: Israeli massacre survivor singer faces barrage of hate as politically charged contest gets underway

    October 7 survivor Yuval Raphael, appears to have been ‘booed’ and ‘jeered’ during her Eurovision performance tonight, as two audience members were stopped when they attempted to storm the stage.…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen