Messi signs new deal with Inter Miami to keep Argentina star in MLS to 2028

Argentinean superstar Lionel Messi joined Inter Miami in 2023 from Paris Saint-Germain.

Lionel Messi has agreed to a contract extension with Inter Miami that will see the Argentine superstar remain in Major League Soccer (MLS) until the end of the 2028 season, the club has confirmed.

Inter Miami’s X feed posted a video of Messi signing a contract sitting at a table in the middle of the club’s new Freedom Park stadium, which is under construction in Miami, Florida in the US, with the simple caption: “He’s Home”.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items

end of list

“It makes me really happy to stay here and to continue with this project that, besides being a dream, has become a beautiful reality – playing in this stadium, at Miami Freedom Park,” Messi, 38, said in a club statement.

“Since I arrived in Miami, I’ve been very happy, so I’m truly glad to keep going here,” Messi added.

Inter Miami co-owner David Beckham said Messi’s decision to extend reflected his “commitment to the city, to the club, to the game”.

“He’s still as committed as he’s ever been and he still wants to win,” Beckham said. “As owners to have a player that loves the game as much as he does, and who has done as much for the game in this country and to inspire the next generation of young talent as he has, we feel very lucky.”

The World Cup-winner’s current contract expires at the end of the 2025 MLS season.

A new deal had been viewed as a formality after club sources told AFP last month that the franchise had reached an agreement on an extension.

Messi’s contract ensures he will remain in competitive action until and long after the 2026 World Cup hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Messi moved to Inter Miami in 2023 after an unhappy spell at Paris Saint-Germain and has since had a transformative effect on the league, driving record attendances and ticketing revenues.

“When Lionel Messi made MLS his league of choice, it marked a turning point – not just for Inter Miami, but for our entire sport in North America,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said Thursday as he welcomed news of Messi’s contract extension.

Messi spent the bulk of his stellar career at Barcelona, where he played from 2004 to 2021 after coming through the Spanish giants’ youth system.

At Barcelona, he won the La Liga title 10 times and lifted the UEFA Champions League trophy on four occasions.

In 2022, he led Argentina to World Cup glory in Qatar and has expressed a desire to try to retain the trophy next year.

He has scored 114 international goals and also won the Copa America twice with Argentina, in 2021 and 2024.

Messi could play at a sixth World Cup next year, which would set a new all-time record, although he could be matched by longtime rival Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal.

The eight-time Ballon d’Or winner is also just three goals short of Miroslav Klose’s record of 16 career World Cup goals.

Argentina comfortably booked a spot at next year’s finals, finishing nine points clear at the top of the South American qualifying table.

Messi finished as the top scorer with eight goals, including a brace in what may have been his last competitive match on home soil against Venezuela two weeks ago.

He was named the MLS’s most valuable player in the 2024 season even though Inter Miami were eliminated in the playoffs.

In 2025, he became the fastest player to reach 40 goals in MLS history.

This season, Messi has led Miami back into the playoffs after finishing in third place in the Eastern Conference.

He wrapped up Inter Miami’s regular season campaign with a superb hat-trick last Saturday in a 5-2 demolition of Nashville SC, leaving him with 29 goals from 28 matches to win MLS’s Golden Boot award.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Lebanon signs gas exploration deal with international consortium amid economic crisis

    Lebanon’s government has signed a deal with an international consortium for gas exploration in an offshore area bordering Israel ByBASSEM MROUE Associated Press BEIRUT — BEIRUT (AP) — Lebanon ’s…

    Trump signs executive order labeling fentanyl ‘weapon of mass destruction’

    Label is the latest instance of Trump using militarised, symbolic language to justify US operations against drug smuggling. Washington, DC – United States President Donald Trump has said he will…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen