Donald Trump served legal papers in Scotland in battle with former British spy

By GRAHAM GRANT HOME AFFAIRS EDITOR FOR THE SCOTTISH DAILY MAIL

Published: | Updated:

Donald Trump has been served with legal papers at his Scottish businesses in an extraordinary battle with a former British spy.

The Mail has learned sheriff officers were sent to Trump Turnberry in Ayrshire and the U.S. President’s Menie golf course in Aberdeenshire.

The dispute relates to ex-MI6 agent Christopher Steele, who claimed in an incendiary dossier that Russia possessed compromising sexual material relating to the President, which Mr Trump denies.

Mr Steele was awarded more than £600,000 in costs against Mr Trump after the tycoon’s unsuccessful attempt to sue him over what he insisted were ‘shocking and scandalous’ false claims.

The costs, which were awarded to Mr Steele’s company, Orbis Business Intelligence, at a High Court hearing in April, have yet to be paid – and are rising daily.

They will have increased by a further £2,000 by the time Mr Trump touches down in London for his State visit later this month.

The legal papers were served on Mr Trump on Tuesday – while John Swinney was in the U.S. to meet Mr Trump for talks on Scotch whisky tariffs.

Commenting on the move, an Orbis spokesman told the Mail: ‘The British legal system has demonstrated that, in this country at least, no-one is above the law.

President Donald Trump last visited his Scottish golf courses in July

Ex-spy Christopher Steele was awarded more than £600,000 in costs against Mr Trump

‘We are nevertheless concerned that Donald Trump continues to be in breach of the English High Court and are alarmed by the outrageous costs of this vexatious case in wasted time and money, both for Orbis Business Intelligence and the UK courts.’

It is understood Orbis is seeking an ‘arrestment’ order from the courts which would prevent Mr Trump’s company in Scotland paying out dividends to shareholders.

Mr Trump may argue that he enjoys Presidential immunity – but Orbis will claim that he was not President when the dispute over Mr Steele’s allegations happened.

The President’s lawyers now have a month to respond to the papers served on Tuesday.

King Charles and Queen Camilla are hosting the President and his wife, Melania, at Windsor Castle between September 17 and 19, with a State banquet as the glittering centrepiece.

The Commons will be in recess at the time, neatly avoiding the controversy which would likely have been sparked by Mr Trump addressing Parliament.

The Steele dossier, produced for Mr Trump’s defeated Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, became one of the most controversial aspects of the FBI’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 US election which led to a probe by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Hugh Tomlinson KC, representing the President, argued that Mr Trump ‘suffered personal and reputational damage and distress’ over claims in the dossier that he had taken part in sex parties in St Petersburg and had consorted with sex workers in Moscow.

Mr Tomlinson insisted the claims about the personal conduct of Mr Trump were false, as were allegations that he had paid bribes to Russian officials to further his business interests.

He described the allegations in the memos – which also included a claim the 79-year-old had ‘defiled’ a bed previously used by former president Barack Obama and his wife – as ‘egregiously inaccurate’.

Sheriff officers were sent to Trump Turnberry (pictured) and the U.S. President’s Menie golf course in Aberdeenshire 

Orbis Business Intelligence succeeded in having the lawsuit thrown out after arguing that the report had never been meant to be made public and was published by the media without permission.

Mr Trump brought up the subject of Mr Steele during a press conference during an informal visit to the UK in July.

A Government insider told the Scottish Mail on Sunday at the weekend: ‘Trump still hasn’t abided by the court order.

‘And our understanding is when he sets foot on British soil, he could be open to some form of fresh legal challenge.

‘The whole thing could turn into a diplomatic nightmare.’

A spokesman for Mr Trump’s hotels and golf courses in Scotland said: ‘This matter has no connection whatsoever to Trump Turnberry or Trump International Golf Links in Aberdeenshire.

‘The issue is being addressed by our legal counsel in the U.S.’

The Trump Organisation in the U.S. was contacted for comment.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump orders ‘total and complete’ blockade of all oil tankers bound for Venezuela while warning Maduro with ‘largest Armada ever assembled’

    Donald Trump has declared the Venezuelan regime a foreign terrorist organization and ordered ‘a total and complete blockade’ of sanctioned oil tankers headed to and from the country. The president’s…

    Donald Trump celebrates Hanukkah with Laura Loomer and by telling White House guests Ilhan Omar ‘hates Jewish people’

    President Donald Trump marked the third night of Hanukkah by celebrating at the White House with conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer and other, less controversial, allies in the Jewish community.  ‘I…

    You Missed

    Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of the victims killed in the Bondi Beach shooting

    Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of the victims killed in the Bondi Beach shooting

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    Moment British tourist and her friends shelter from Bondi Beach massacre as she reveals how she escaped terror attack

    Brown University gunman drove to Rhode Island with laser-reinforced firearm before wreaking chaos: Live updates

    Brown University gunman drove to Rhode Island with laser-reinforced firearm before wreaking chaos: Live updates

    He was a trusted elementary teacher who played Santa Claus but the ‘sick’ St Nick hid a ‘dark secret’

    He was a trusted elementary teacher who played Santa Claus but the ‘sick’ St Nick hid a ‘dark secret’

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    Bondi live updates: Alleged terror attack gunman ‘had just lost his job’ before shooting left 16 dead

    Roommate of second Brown University shooting victim mourns ‘ball of joy’ neuroscience major killed in gunfire

    • By poster
    • February 16, 2026
    • 2 views
    Roommate of second Brown University shooting victim mourns ‘ball of joy’ neuroscience major killed in gunfire