Toddler goes missing from Sydney childcare centre for HOURS after grandfather’s grave error

By NICK WILSON, NEWS REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

A little boy went missing from a Sydney daycare centre for several hours after a grandfather accidentally took the wrong child home. 

The mix-up at First Steps Learning Academy in Bangor, in the city’s south, was only discovered when the boy’s mother arrived to pick him up. 

However, to the woman’s horror, she realised her son was missing. 

Panicked staff reviewed CCTV footage, which showed the grandfather being handed the woman’s child, instead of his grandson, and leaving the daycare.   

His emotional wife explained it had been nap time when he arrived to pick up their grandchild and the room had been darkened. 

‘He was struggling with the car seat,’ she told the Sydney Morning Herald

‘He didn’t really notice much different because he doesn’t do the car seat that often, so his biggest thing was trying to [work out] the seat. 

‘When he got him home, he just snuggled into him and went to sleep, and he didn’t realise. He has the same hair, and he had the dummy in his mouth, and [my husband] said, “He’s not well. He’s not himself”.’

The mix-up at First Steps Bangor, in Sydney’s south, was only discovered when the toddler’s mother arrived at the daycare to pick him up (the childcare centre is pictured)

First Steps Learning Academy’s Trisha Hastie told Daily Mail the educator involved in the mix-up had been stood down. 

‘We sincerely apologise to the families directly involved in this deeply upsetting and isolated incident, and to the broader First Steps community for the distress it has caused,’ she said in a statement. 

‘The safety and wellbeing of every child in our care is our highest priority.’

Ms Hastie said it was the first time anything like this had happened at the childcare centre and its procedures had been updated to avoid a repeat.  

‘We have acted immediately to strengthen our procedures and ensure this never happens again,’ she continued. 

‘This has never happened before at Bangor, or at any of our other centres.

‘We have made immediate and significant changes around the drop-off and pick-up protocols to ensure this never happens again.’

The centre has strengthened its protocols to include authorised collection cards, additional staff during peak pick-up times, and photo ID cards for children. 

The educator involved in the mix-up has been stood down by First Steps Learning Academy

Entry to the centre will also be controlled via a doorbell, while a dedicated staff member will be positioned in the foyer during pick-up. 

The NSW Early Childhood Education and Care Regulatory Authority confirmed it was investigating the incident. 

‘This is a deeply concerning and serious incident,’ a spokesperson told Daily Mail. 

‘We will not hesitate to act to protect children’s health, safety and wellbeing.’

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Cops swarm home of missing Melodee Buzzard as mom is arrested

    The mother of missing nine-year-old Melodee Buzzard has been arrested at her California home. Ashlee Buzzard was taken into custody Friday afternoon outside her residence in Lompoc, roughly 50 miles away…

    What to know about missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 as search resumes

    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — More than a decade ago, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished without a trace, sparking one of aviation’s most baffling mysteries. Despite years of multinational searches, investigators…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen