Brazilian high court requests increased security for Bolsonaro

Stronger police presence is called for to monitor the former president, who is under house arrest awaiting trial.

Brazilian Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes has requested the police to tighten security around former President Jair Bolsonaro’s home while he is under house arrest.

Moraes on Monday sent a notice to police calling for full-time monitoring near Bolsonaro’s house to ensure he is complying with the restraining orders against him.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

Earlier this month, the embattled former president was placed under house arrest after Moraes determined that he had violated precautionary measures imposed by the court restricting his social media use and political messaging.

Police said last week that they had found a draft letter on Bolsonaro’s phone of a request for asylum in Argentina. It was last edited in 2024, police said.

Bolsonaro’s legal defence said the document was not evidence that the former president was a flight risk.

Bolsonaro’s trial is expected to start on September 2. The former president faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted of plotting to overthrow his democratically elected successor as president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, in 2022.

His case has been a flashpoint for the administration of United States President Donald Trump, who insists it is a witch-hunt against his former ally.

Last month, Trump imposed 50 percent tariffs on Brazil, directly tying the levy to the trial of his fellow right-wing politician, Bolsonaro. That was followed by sanctions against Moraes, with the Trump administration accusing the judge of “arbitrary detentions that violate human rights”.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    The Supreme Court hands a win to oil and gas companies fighting environmental lawsuits in Louisiana

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    UK court rejects bid to reinstate ‘terrorism’ charge against Kneecap rapper

    Irish rapper Liam O’Hanna welcomes ruling in case he says was ‘never about any threat to the public, never about terrorism’. British prosecutors have lost an appeal seeking to reinstate…

    You Missed

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war