US suspends visas for Gaza residents after right-wing social media storm

State Department move comes as Israel’s war and induced famine in Gaza reach new extremes, with 61,827 killed so far.

The United States has announced that it is halting all visitor visas for people from Gaza pending a “a full and thorough” review, a day after social media posts about Palestinian refugees prompted furious reactions from right-wingers.

The Department of State’s move on Saturday came a day after far-right activist and Trump ally Laura Loomer posted on X that Palestinians “who claim to be refugees from Gaza” entered the US via San Francisco and Houston this month.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

end of list

“How is allowing for Islamic immigrants to come into the US America First policy?” she said on X in a later post, going on to report further Palestinian arrivals in Missouri and claiming that “several US Senators and members of Congress” had texted her to express their fury.

Republican lawmakers speaking publicly included Chip Roy of Texas, who said he would inquire about the matter, and Randy Fine of Florida, who described the alleged arrivals as a “national security risk”.

By Saturday, the State Department announced it was stopping visas for “individuals from Gaza” while it conducted “a full and thorough review of the process and procedures used to issue a small number of temporary medical-humanitarian visas in recent days”. It did not provide a figure.

The US issued 640 visas to holders of the Palestinian Authority travel document in May, according to the Reuters news agency. B1/B2 visitor visas permit Palestinians to seek medical treatment in the US.

‘Dangerous and inhumane decision’

Aid groups have urged the US to reverse its “dangerous and inhumane decision”.

The Palestine Children’s Relief Fund (PCRF) said the new restrictions will prevent children in urgent need of medical treatment from travelling to the US.

“This will have a devastating and irreversible impact on our ability to bring injured and critically ill children from Gaza to the US for lifesaving medical treatment,” the group warned.

Tareq Hailat, director of Global Patient Affairs at the PCRF, urged Washington to reverse its decision. “This is extremely devastating news,” he told Al Jazeera. “The impact of this decision will be devastating. And the US must honestly reverse this decision immediately.”

Hailat stressed that denying medical visas strips Gaza’s children of their “most basic human rights”.

HEAL Palestine, which coordinates evacuations for injured children and their families to the US, said it has assisted 148 people so far, among them 63 children in need of urgent care.

All visitor visas for individuals from Gaza are being stopped while we conduct a full and thorough review of the process and procedures used to issue a small number of temporary medical-humanitarian visas in recent days.

— Department of State (@StateDept) August 16, 2025

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), an advocacy group, has also slammed the US State Department’s decision to stop issuing visas to Palestinians from Gaza.

“Blocking Palestinian children injured by American weapons from coming to America for medical treatment is the latest sign that the intentional cruelty of President Trump’s ‘Israel First’ administration knows no bounds,” the group said in a statement on X.

“It is also deeply ironic that the Trump administration would ban Palestinian children seeking treatment while rolling out the red carpet for racists and indicted war criminals from the Israeli government. This ban is just the latest example of our government’s complicity with Israel’s genocide, which is increasingly rejected by the American people,” it added.

Tamer Qarmout, Associate Professor at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies, said the United States has “lost its soul” in the Gaza war through its unwavering support for Israel.

Speaking to Al Jazeera from Doha, he argued that Washington should suspend arms deliveries to Israel if it wants to end what he described as “genocide.”

Loomer, the far-right activist, greeted Saturday’s State Department announcement with glee.

“It’s amazing how fast we can get results from the Trump administration,” she said on Saturday, though she later posted that more needed to be done to “highlight the crisis of the invasion happening in our country”.

While I appreciate the State Department and @marcorubio issuing this statement, I want to press even harder to highlight the crisis of the invasion happening in our country.

The visas and arrivals of GAZANS to US airports isn’t new. This has been drastically increasing in speed… https://t.co/mI5APTairz

— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) August 16, 2025

The decision to cut visas comes as Israel intensifies its attacks on Gaza, where at least 61,827 people have been killed in the past 22 months, with the United Nations warning that “widespread starvation, malnutrition and disease” are driving a rise in famine-related deaths.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been pushing to seize Gaza City as part of a takeover of the Strip, forcibly displacing hundreds of thousands of Palestinians to concentration zones.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US revokes more than 100,000 visas since Trump’s return to office

    The US State Department says visa revocations have more than doubled as President Trump continues his immigration crackdown. The State Department in the United States says it has revoked more…

    US suspends assistance to Somali government for alleged seizure of aid

    The Trump administration has accused Somali officials of destroying a World Food Programme warehouse that contained US-funded food aid. The United States says that it has suspended all assistance to…

    You Missed

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Racist former soldier who ranted about ‘bowing down to Muslims’ found guilty of murdering his Moroccan-born neighbour

    Racist former soldier who ranted about ‘bowing down to Muslims’ found guilty of murdering his Moroccan-born neighbour

    Football fan and author, 60, dies after falling from ladder while putting up Union Flags on lampposts

    Football fan and author, 60, dies after falling from ladder while putting up Union Flags on lampposts

    Andrew and Fergie come out of exile for palace christening of Princess Beatrice’s daughter Athena

    Andrew and Fergie come out of exile for palace christening of Princess Beatrice’s daughter Athena

    White couple ‘faked DNA test’ in bid to keep mixed-race baby that was born through surrogate

    White couple ‘faked DNA test’ in bid to keep mixed-race baby that was born through surrogate

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis