A US judge says arrested Haitian businessman and former presidential hopeful will remain in custody

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — A federal immigration judge in Miami ordered on Thursday that wealthy Haitian businessman and one-time presidential hopeful Pierre Réginald Boulos remain in custody in the United States, where he is held over accusations of supporting violent gangs in Haiti.

Boulos was arrested at his home in South Florida earlier in July, accused of being “engaged in a campaign of violence and gang support that contributed to Haiti’s destabilization,” the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has said.

A well-known member of Haiti’s elite, he is the most high-profile Haitian arrested to date under the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown.

Thursday’s hearing at the Krome North Service Processing Center was held behind closed doors, with authorities barring journalists and others from the courtroom and the detention center itself.

It wasn’t immediately known what occurred at the hearing other than the judge denying Boulos be released, a person familiar with the case told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the hearing.

More than a dozen people gathered outside the detention center on Thursday, demanding that Boulos remain in the U.S. — or anywhere else but Haiti. The demonstrators waved at cars that passed by and honked in support.

“If Boulos goes to Haiti, he will not stay in prison. The justice in Haiti are gangs,” read one sign.

Some said Boulos should be sent to El Salvador, or even Guantánamo. Another sign read: Send Boulos under the sea.

U.S. authorities have not provided any details on Boulos’s case, and no documents have been made public. Days after his arrest, ICE also said Boulos failed to disclose in his residency application his involvement in the creation of a political party or that Haiti’s government had referred him for prosecution for misusing loans.

Popular Reads

It added that the State Department “has determined that certain individuals with U.S. lawful permanent resident status have supported and collaborated with Haitian gang leaders connected to Viv Ansanm, a Haitian foreign terrorist organization.”

“The United States will not allow individuals to enjoy the benefits of legal status in our country while they are facilitating the actions of violent organizations or supporting criminal terrorist organizations abroad,” the statement said.

Boulos ran grocery stores, car dealerships and other businesses while in Haiti, where he served as president of the National Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Boulos, who was born in the U.S., has previously denied a flurry of corruption allegations in Haiti.

In 2019, he created the Third Way Movement, a political party that he said at the time served as a contrast to the “shameless elite and the unscrupulous politicians who are working to bog down the country and increase the suffering of the people” of Haiti.

Boulos renounced his U.S. citizenship amid expectations of a presidential run, which never materialized. He obtained U.S residency last year, under the Biden administration.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US judge orders DC pipe bomb suspect to remain in custody ahead of trial

    Suspect Brian Cole confessed to planting bomb, parroting Trump’s false claims 2020 election was stolen. A federal judge in the United States has refused the pre-trial release of a man…

    Judge upholds Hawaii’s new climate change tax on cruise passengers

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 0 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen