ABC personality charged with 40 child abuse and assault offences spanning over three decades

By NICHOLAS COMINO FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Published: | Updated:

A veteran ABC cameraman has been charged with over 40 child abuse and assault charges for alleged offences spanning over three decades. 

South Australian man Trevor James Scroop was arrested and remanded in custody in March 2023.  

The 65-year-old allegedly abused multiple children over a 34-year period between 1989 and 2023, The Advertiser reports. 

He was still employed at the ABC when his alleged offending began. He’s understood to have ceased working for the broadcaster in 2011.

A suppression order detailing the alleged offending and his identity was revoked in a District Court on Wednesday following a request from prosecutors. 

Scroop, from Hillcrest in Adelaide‘s north, has pleaded not guilty. 

The court previously heard Scroop had access to Indigenous children in the Northern Territory as a result of an ‘arrangement’ with the Department for Child Protection. 

During a 2023 court hearing, prosecutor Leah O’Donnell revealed that Scroop had an arrangement with South Australia’s Department for Child Protection (DCP) to house young Aboriginal boys who had travelled to Adelaide to attend school. 

ABC cameraman Trevor James Scroop (pictured) has been behind bars since March last year

Scroop (pictured) also had a stint with the Department for Child Protection

‘It was formal in the sense that DCP had been involved,’ she told the court. 

‘There are records that support a number of these children being in the care of the respondent and his wife. 

‘I don’t know if all of the arrangements were formal, some may have been informal.’

Scroop has been charged with 12 counts of sexual abuse of a child, eight counts of indecent assault, three counts of aggravated indecent assault, one count of gross indecency, six counts of unlawful sexual intercourse, four counts of assault and two counts of aggravated assault. 

He is further charged with one count of attempted aggravated inciting or procuring a child to commit an indecent act, one count of aggravated inciting or procuring a child to commit an indecent act, one count of aggravated compelled sexual manipulation, one count of aggravated procuring a child for sexual activity, one count of attempted indecent assault, and three counts of possessing child exploitation material.

The 65-year-old was granted bail in October 2023, but was taken back into custody the following March, where he has remained ever since. 

A date for a trial is yet to be set, with prosecutors considering applying for the trial to be heard in a multiple interstate locations.

South Australian Police Commission Grant Stevens described the charges as ‘vile’.

Scroop (pictured) allegedly abused multiple children over a 34-year period

‘This is a very troubling investigation which has had a devastating impact on a particular community in the Northern Territory,’ he said. 

The matter will return to court in August. 

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US soldier charged with using Polymarket to bet on Nicolas Maduro abduction

    The United States Department of Justice has filed criminal charges against an active-duty soldier for placing a bet on the abduction of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, using classified military information…

    Wellness guru charged with manslaughter after man died during a ayahuasca and frog poison ceremony at his Byron Bay retreat

    A retreat operator has been charged with manslaughter four years after a ceremonial ritual involving frog poison left one man dead…Read More

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii