Shock update as an Aussie dad involved in wild beach club brawl in Bali learns his fate

By NICK WILSON and MAX ALDRED FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Published: | Updated:

An Aussie man involved in a carpark brawl outside a popular beach club while holidaying in Bali will be freed from jail within weeks. 

Mohamed Rifai, 27, from south-west Sydney, was sentenced to four months on Thursday after a panel of judges at Depasar District Court found him guilty of assault. 

Rifai was arrested in February following a wild brawl outside Finns Beach Club in North Kuta involving up to 15 security staff and four other Australian tourists

He has been in custody ever since.

Based on time already served, Rifai will walk free later this month when he has completed his four month term in Bali’s notorious Kerobokan prison. 

‘The panel of judges has found the defendant Mohamed Rifai guilty of assault and in violation of article 351 subsection one of the Indonesian Criminal Code and sentence the defendant to four months prison minus the time he has already served,’ Denpasar District Court judge Anak Agung Made Aripathi told the court. 

Rifai accepted the verdict and has decided not to appeal.   

His lawyer Sabam Antonius welcomed the jail sentence, which was slightly shorter than the five month term recommended by the prosecutor. 

Mohamed Rifai will soon return to Australia after learning his fate on Thursday

The Sydneysider was seen hugging his father after sentence was handed down

‘We accept this sentence, this is best sentence. That’s why we decided to accept the sentence,’ Mr Antonius said. 

A relieved Rifai was seen smiling and hugged his father in court after learning his fate. 

He didn’t comment on the verdict to reporters when leaving court. 

Last week in court, Rifai claimed he acted in self defence while he was allegedly attacked by the security guards after they escorted his friend John Ebid from the club.

The panel of judges on Thursday concluded there was no justification for Rifai’s actions.

The prosecutor said the injuries inflicted on the victim, security guard Made Bagus Yohanandita, added to the seriousness of the offending. 

He also considered several mitigating factors, including Rifai’s polite nature during the trial, admission of guilt, displays of remorse, and the ‘peace agreement’ between himself and security guards involved in the brawl. 

 ‘The defendant’s actions have caused the victim to suffer injuries such as losing teeth and bleeding to his nose,’ the judge told the court.

The dad was involved in a violent brawl outside Finn’s Beach Club in North Kuta in February 

Mohamed Rifai (pictured in court on Thursday) has been in custody since February

Earlier this week, Rifai delivered an impassioned plea for leniency in court.

‘I am very, very sorry for my actions that night,’ he said. 

‘I am not a rough person. I have a family that I should protect in Australia.

‘I beg you to give me the possible lightest sentence.’

The maximum penalty for assault occasioning serious injury is five years’ prison in Indonesia. 

Rifai accepted Thursday’s court verdict and has decided not to appeal

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Iran war energy shock drives nuclear power plans in hard-hit Asia and Africa

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    Major update in Logan house tragedy after mother, 37, and her 11-month-old baby girl were found stabbed to death

    By AARON BUNCH FOR AAP Published: 08:19 EDT, 17 March 2026 | Updated: 22:16 EDT, 17 March 2026 A man who allegedly stabbed his partner and their baby daughter to…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese to deliver address to the nation TONIGHT as he makes urgent plea to all Australians: ‘Play their part’

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Anthony Albanese to deliver address to the nation TONIGHT as he makes urgent plea to all Australians: ‘Play their part’

    Labour could lose ‘well over’ 1,000 councillors -elections continues, say top pollsters

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Labour could lose ‘well over’ 1,000 councillors -elections continues, say top pollsters

    President Trump announces an ‘Address to the Nation’ on Iran

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    President Trump announces an ‘Address to the Nation’ on Iran

    The fatal hospital blunder that cost young tradie, 22, his life

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    The fatal hospital blunder that cost young tradie, 22, his life

    Sacked BBC star Scott Mills admitted pinning an ex-boyfriend to the wall by his throat after he betrayed him and found him in bed with his friend

    • By poster
    • May 24, 2026
    • 2 views
    Sacked BBC star Scott Mills admitted pinning an ex-boyfriend to the wall by his throat after he betrayed him and found him in bed with his friend

    World’s oldest known tortoise dies aged 193: Jonathan

    • By admin
    • May 23, 2026
    • 2 views
    World’s oldest known tortoise dies aged 193: Jonathan