Man charged over Starmer fires: Roman Lavrynovych accused of three counts of arson after series of blazes

By REBECCA CAMBER and MATT STRUDWICK

Published: | Updated:

Scotland Yard has tonight charged a man with arson following a series of blazes that targeted Sir Keir Starmer

Roman Lavrynovych, 21, of Sydenham, has been charged with three counts of arson with intent to endanger life. 

The Ukrainian national is accused of setting the Prime Minister’s £2million north London property alight on Monday night, just days after the torching of a car and a flat which the Labour leader had previously owned.

The three fires took place between May 8 and 12. 

Lavrynovych is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday. 

He was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday and has remained in custody ever since. 

Sir Keir has let the four-bedroom house in Kentish Town to his sister-in-law on a peppercorn rent since he moved into Downing Street last year. 

The blaze damaged the porch of the property, but firefighters were able to bring it under control within 20 minutes, stopping it from spreading further indoors. 

Roman Lavrynovych has been charged with three counts of arson with intent to endanger life

Prime Minister Keir Starmer during a news conference ahead of the publication of the government’s immigration white paper — May 12, 2025

A police officer stands outside Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s private home that was damaged in a fire

Fire damage to a property formerly owned by the Prime Minister in Islington, north London,

The doors of two homes linked to the Prime Minister in north London both suffered fire damage within 24 hours of each other.

It came after a Toyota Rav 4 on Sir Keir’s street burst into flames on VE Day. 

The owner of the vehicle, a neighbour of the Prime Minister, is understood to have thought that the fire started because of a faulty battery. The hybrid car was completely destroyed. 

The head of Counter Terrorism Command issued a statement following the blazes urging any MPs who may be concerned to contact police.  

Bethan David, Head of the Crown Prosecution Service Counter Terrorism Division, said on Thursday night: ‘Following a review of the evidence provided by the Metropolitan Police Service’s Counter Terrorism Command, we have authorised criminal charges against a 21-year-old man after three fires in north London.

‘Roman Lavrynovych has been charged with three counts of arson with intent to endanger life or being reckless as to whether life would be endangered, contrary to section 1(2) and (3) of the Criminal Damage Act 1971.

‘These charges relate to two fires at residential addresses in Islington on Sunday, 11 May 2025 and in Kentish Town on Monday, 12 May 2025, as well as a car fire in Kentish Town on Thursday, 8 May 2025.

‘The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against this defendant are now active and that he has the right to a fair trial.

Footage shows a dark blue Toyota Rav 4 engulfed in flames as firefighters fought the blaze on VE Day

The burnt out remains of the Toyota Rav 4. The owner of the car initially thought it was a battery fault

‘It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.’

City mayor Sir Sadiq Khan said the three fires had left the Prime Minister’s family feeling ‘frightened’ for their safety.

He told LBC Radio: ‘Don’t underestimate the ripples of fear that [his wife] Vic and the kids felt when they will have read this stuff in the paper.

‘But for the grace of God they are safe thankfully, in Downing Street, they’ve got a protection team.’

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Starmer told to QUIT over ‘lies’ amid claims Mandelson FAILED security vetting for US envoy

    Keir Starmer is facing furious demands to quit tonight after Downing Street admitted Lord Mandelson was made Britain’s ambassador to the US despite failing security checks. In an astonishing development,…

    US soldier charged with using Polymarket to bet on Nicolas Maduro abduction

    The United States Department of Justice has filed criminal charges against an active-duty soldier for placing a bet on the abduction of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, using classified military information…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii