Countries reach landmark deal on tackling future pandemics, WHO says

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says draft agreement shows multilateralism is ‘alive and well’.

The members of the World Health Organization (WHO) have reached a landmark agreement on how to respond to future pandemics after more than three years of negotiations, the global health body has said.

The draft agreement, drawn up after more than 13 formal rounds of negotiations, will be presented for consideration at the World Health Assembly in May, the WHO said on Wednesday.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that member states had made history by demonstrating that multilateralism is “alive and well” and that nations can “still work together to find common ground”.

“We look forward to the World Health Assembly’s consideration of the agreement and – we hope – its adoption,” Tedros said.

The WHO has been working on an agreement since 2021, when member states called for a plan to coordinate the global response to COVID-19 and better respond to the next health crisis.

The United States was not involved in the final rounds of talks, after US President Donald Trump in February issued an executive order cancelling US membership of the WHO.

Member states previously failed to reach a deal by a May 2024 deadline amid disagreements over intellectual property and access to vaccines.

The agreement reached on Wednesday includes commitments to enhance technology and knowledge-sharing, mobilise a multidisciplinary global health emergency workforce and establish a “pathogen access and benefit sharing system”, among other provisions.

South Africa’s Precious Matsoso, one of six ambassadors who helped lead the negotiations, said the agreement would “increase equity” and “protect future generations from the suffering and losses we suffered during the COVID-19 pandemic”.

“The negotiations, at times, have been difficult and protracted. But this monumental effort has been sustained by the shared understanding that viruses do not respect borders, that no one is safe from pandemics until everyone is safe, and that collective health security is an aspiration we deeply believe in and want to strengthen,” Matsoso said.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    These are the countries attacked by Israel in 2025

    These are the countries attacked by Israel in 2025 NewsFeed In 2025, Israel carried out thousands of attacks in Gaza and the occupied West Bank, with at least 10,600 attacks…

    All the countries Israel attacked in 2025: Animated map

    Israel has attacked more countries than any other country this year. In 2025, Israel attacked at least six countries, including Palestine, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, Syria, and Yemen. It also carried…

    You Missed

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Racist former soldier who ranted about ‘bowing down to Muslims’ found guilty of murdering his Moroccan-born neighbour

    Racist former soldier who ranted about ‘bowing down to Muslims’ found guilty of murdering his Moroccan-born neighbour

    Football fan and author, 60, dies after falling from ladder while putting up Union Flags on lampposts

    Football fan and author, 60, dies after falling from ladder while putting up Union Flags on lampposts

    Andrew and Fergie come out of exile for palace christening of Princess Beatrice’s daughter Athena

    Andrew and Fergie come out of exile for palace christening of Princess Beatrice’s daughter Athena

    White couple ‘faked DNA test’ in bid to keep mixed-race baby that was born through surrogate

    White couple ‘faked DNA test’ in bid to keep mixed-race baby that was born through surrogate

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis