Libya finds two mass graves with bodies of nearly 50 migrants, refugees

Rights groups and UN agencies have documented systematic abuse against migrants, refugees in Libya including torture, rape and extortion.

Libya authorities have uncovered nearly 50 bodies from two mass graves in the country’s southeastern desert, in the latest tragedy involving people seeking to reach Europe through the North African country.

The security directorate said in a statement on Sunday that one mass grave found on Friday in a farm in the southeastern city of Kufra contained 19 bodies. The remains were taken for autopsy.

Mohamed al-Fadeil, head of the security chamber in Kufra, said a second mass grave with at least 30 bodies was also found in the city after authorities raided a migrant detention centre.

He added that according to survivor accounts, nearly 70 people were buried in that site and authorities were still searching the area.

Al-Abreen, a charity that helps migrants and refugees in eastern and southern Libya, said that some of the people found in the mass graves had been shot and killed before they were buried.

Mass graves containing the bodies of asylum seekers have previously been discovered in Libya, the main transit point for migrants from Africa and the Middle East trying to make it to Europe.

Last year, authorities unearthed the bodies of at least 65 migrants in the Shuayrif region, south of the capital Tripoli.

Human traffickers have benefited from more than a decade of instability, smuggling migrants and refugees across the country’s borders with six nations, including Chad, Niger, Sudan, Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia.

Rights groups and United Nations agencies have for years documented systematic abuse of asylum seekers in Libya including forced labour, beatings, rapes and torture. The abuse often accompanies efforts to extort money from families before they are allowed to leave Libya on traffickers’ boats.

Those who are intercepted and returned to Libya are held in government-run detention centres where they suffer from abuse, including torture, rape and extortion, according to rights groups and UN experts.

The country plunged into chaos following a NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. The oil-rich nation has been ruled for most of the past decade by rival governments in eastern and western Libya, each backed by an array of fighter groups and foreign governments.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Jury finds Elon Musk misled investors during Twitter purchase

    A jury has found Elon Musk liable for misleading investors by deliberately driving down Twitter’s stock price in the tumultuous months leading up to his 2022 acquisition of the social…

    US audit finds gaps in the FAA’s oversight of United Airlines maintenance

    The ability of federal safety regulators to oversee airplane maintenance at United Airlines has been hindered by inadequate staffing, high employee turnover and the improper use of virtual inspections instead…

    You Missed

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Harrowing moment California dad of three is shot after being KIDNAPPED by his own boss in twisted scheme that ended in police shootout

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Voice architect breaks silence with first public speech in three years to reveal he wants Aboriginal departments abolished in every state

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Christian doctor scores huge payout after she claimed she was fired for refusing to comply with trans policies at work

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    As Robert Downey Jr signs £75million deal to become the highest paid movie star EVER, meet the wife who dragged the drug-addled Iron Man star back from the brink

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran

    World braces for weekend of war as Iran names new targets…as Trump mulls fresh round of strikes on Tehran