Rwandan-backed M23 rebels declare ceasefire in DRC

The M23 armed group said it will pause its advance across DR Congo for humanitarian reasons.

Rwanda-backed forces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have announced that they will pause their advance across the east of the country for humanitarian reasons.

The AFC/M23 rebel coalition announced late on Monday that it would implement a unilateral ceasefire starting on Tuesday. The group, backed by thousands of troops from neighbouring Rwanda, seized Goma, the main city in eastern DRC, last week, with the United Nations estimating 900 people were killed, while hundreds of thousands have been displaced.

Calls have been mounting for a humanitarian corridor to be established to allow people to escape the fighting. However, there was no immediate comment from the DRC government in Kinshasa on the announcement, and it is unclear if the country’s military will respect the ceasefire.

“The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23) informs the public that in response to the humanitarian crisis caused by the regime in Kinshasa it declares a ceasefire starting 4 February 4 2025 for humanitarian reasons,” the rebels said in a statement posted on X.

COMMUNIQUÉ OFFICIEL DE L’ALLIANCE FLEUVE CONGO (AFC/M23) DU 3 FÉVRIER 2025 ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/TcsJ4g9noE

— Lawrence KANYUKA (@LawrenceKanyuka) February 3, 2025

Having taken Goma, a city of two million people and home to huge mineral wealth, the rebels had in recent days advanced towards Bukavu, another regional hub in eastern DRC, having previously declared their goal to sweep across DRC to take the capital.

However, in their statement, they declared that they would not attack the provincial city.

“It must be made clear that we have no intention of capturing Bukavu or other areas. However, we reiterate our commitment to protecting and defending the civilian population and our positions,” M23 spokesman Lawrence Kanyuka said in a statement.

The UN said on Monday that at least 900 bodies have been recovered from the streets of Goma, but that the actual death toll is likely to be significantly higher, with the total not including those already taken to the morgue and bodies still littering the city.

Local authorities also counted almost 2,900 people injured last week, according to the reports.

Reporting from Nairobi, Kenya, Al Jazeera’s Catherine Soi said the DRC’s government has not yet responded to the ceasefire announcement.

“Government officials have been saying time and again that it’s not going to respond to anything that M23 is saying,” she said. “They do not trust any ceasefire agreements are going to bear any fruit.”

“We have been speaking to army officials, who are saying that they are regrouping. They are strategising, and the plan is to try to retake Goma and the surrounding areas,” she said.

Peace talks?

The announcement of the pause in the fighting came ahead of a regional summit at the weekend which the presidents of Congo and Rwanda are expected to attend.

DRC President Felix Tshisekedi and Rwandan President Paul Kagame have previously failed to attend talks attempting to broker peace. However, Kenya, which holds the rotating presidency of the East African Community bloc, suggested the pair will turn up.

Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) on Monday urged parties in the conflict to return to negotiations and called for a “rapid, safe and unimpeded passage of humanitarian relief for civilians”.

The fighting in the DRC is linked to decades of ethnic conflict. M23 says it is defending ethnic Tutsis, who fled to the DRC amid the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

DRC accuses Rwanda and the rebels of looting the country’s resources, which include vast deposits of rare earths.

The longstanding conflict has left many people across the region displaced and in dire need of humanitarian aid.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    ISIL-backed rebels killed at least 52 people in eastern DR Congo, UN says

    MONUSCO condemns the attacks by the ADF ‘in the strongest possible terms’, the mission’s spokesperson says. Rebels backed by ISIL (ISIS) have killed at least 52 civilians in the Democratic…

    It’s been a month since rebels seized an eastern Congo city. Goma residents say they are struggling

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    You Missed

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’