Israeli forces kill teenager amid intensified raids in occupied West Bank

Military installs snipers on rooftops surrounding Balata camp during fierce raid that killed Muhammad Medhat Amin Amer.

The Israeli military has killed a Palestinian teenager and injured nine other people in the Balata refugee camp, as Israeli forces step up raids across the occupied West Bank.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health said on Saturday that 18-year-old Muhammad Medhat Amin Amer was shot dead during the overnight raid on the camp, located on the outskirts of the city of Nablus in the north of the occupied West Bank.

Nine people are in “critical condition” after being wounded in the raid, which began on Friday night and triggered violent confrontations, according to the Palestinian Red Crescent.

The Palestinian news agency Wafa reported that Israeli soldiers entered the camp from the Awarta checkpoint, deploying “snipers on the rooftops of surrounding buildings”.

In a statement on Saturday, the Israeli military said that soldiers fired on “terrorists”, who had “hurled explosives, molotov cocktails and rocks, and shot fireworks at the forces”.

Violence in the occupied West Bank has intensified since war broke out in the Gaza Strip following Hamas-led attacks on October 7, 2023.

Since then, at least 815 Palestinians have been killed in the territory by Israeli soldiers or settlers, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry in Ramallah.

In the same period, Palestinian attacks in the occupied West Bank have killed at least 25 Israelis, according to official Israeli figures.

Elsewhere in the occupied West Bank, Wafa reported that a Palestinian child named was injured in the eye by bullet fragments during an Israeli military raid on homes in the town of Tuqu, located southeast of Bethlehem, on Friday.

Israeli forces also carried out separate raids in three towns in the Hebron area of the occupied West Bank.

Local sources told Wafa that Israeli soldiers set up checkpoints in the town of Idhna, west of Hebron, where they stopped vehicles and checked identification cards.

In ash-Shuyukh, north of Hebron, Israeli patrols removed Palestinian flags from streets in the town. In a separate operation, soldiers cordoned off areas in the nearby Arroub refugee camp.

Palestinian Authority raids

Since December, the Palestinian Authority (PA) has also been conducting raids in the Jenin refugee camp, located in the north of the territory, saying they want to crack down on the armed Palestinian resistance.

There have been clashes for weeks, with both civilians and members of the Palestinian Authority’s security forces killed.

The family of a Palestinian father and son who were killed on Friday in the camp blamed the PA for their deaths.

However, the PA’s security forces released a statement denying that their security forces were present in the area. Instead, they blamed the deaths on fighters in the Jenin refugee camp.

The Jenin Battalion armed group released a statement blaming the PA for killing at least 16 Palestinian civilians since October 2023.

A member of the Palestinian General Intelligence Service, identified in reports as Major Rashid Shaqo, also died in the camp on Friday.

A PA official described the killing as an “accidental incident”, according to the Reuters news agency.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Israeli police destroy children’s footballs at Al-Aqsa mosque

    NewsFeed Video shows Israeli police confiscating and destroying footballs that were being played with by children in the courtyards of Al-Aqsa mosque in occupied East Jerusalem, in what mosque authorities…

    US forces kill 4 people in latest strike on vessels in eastern Pacific

    The killings mark the fourth US deadly strike in the past four days on vessels in the eastern Pacific Ocean. The US military has killed four more people in its…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii