France hands over first base in Chad during withdrawal from former colony

Chad last month ended military cooperation with its former colonial power, and French troops began leaving the country last week.

France has handed over its first military base as part of the withdrawal of its military forces from Chad, the French and Chadian militaries say.

Chad’s chief of military staff on Thursday said the base at Faya-Largeau in the north of the country had been handed over and the army would inform the public about progress concerning the withdrawal of French forces from bases in the eastern city of Abeche and the capital, N’Djamena.

Chad’s military said French troops had left in vehicles for N’Djamena, 780km (480 miles) to the south, without providing a precise figure. The French army had about 1,000 personnel in the country.

“The handover took place in accordance with the calendar and the conditions agreed with Chad,” the French military chief of staff said separately.

Chad last month ended military cooperation with its former colonial power, and French troops began leaving the country on Friday, 10 days after French warplanes left.

The move came as Chad prepares to hold parliamentary and local elections on Sunday.

Chad’s military said an Antonov 124 took off on Thursday with 70 tonnes of cargo on board as part of the withdrawal.

French authorities said military vehicles would leave by January and be repatriated via the Cameroonian port of Douala.

Chad had been a key link in France’s military presence in Africa and its last foothold in the wider Sahel region after the withdrawal of French troops from Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger in the wake of a series of military coups.

The military authorities in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger have pivoted towards Russia in recent years.

Landlocked Chad borders the Central African Republic, Sudan, Libya and Niger, all of which host paramilitary forces from Russia’s Africa Corps, which took over the operations of the Wagner mercenary group on the continent.

Chad’s leader, General Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno, has also sought closer ties with Moscow in recent months, but talks to strengthen economic cooperation have yet to bear concrete results.

French soldiers and fighter aircraft have been stationed in Chad almost continuously since the country’s independence in 1960. They have helped train the Chadian military.

The planes provided air support that proved crucial on several occasions in stopping rebels moving to seize power.

The election of Deby in May brought an end to a three-year political transition triggered by his father’s death in fighting with rebels in 2021.

Longtime ruler Idriss Deby Itno had received support from the French army to quell rebel offensives in 2008 and 2019.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    France pledges $108m aid to Lebanon as PM Mikati seeks to expand army

    France has pledged to provide 100 million euros ($108m) to support Lebanon as President Emmanuel Macron said “massive aid” was needed for the country, where Israeli attacks have displaced more…

    France, Qatar deliver urgent aid to Lebanon, French foreign minister says

    French and Qatari military planes deliver 27 metric tonnes of medicines and basic necessities to Lebanon. France and Qatar delivered urgent humanitarian aid to Lebanon on Tuesday, France’s foreign minister…

    You Missed

    Trump’s chilling new warning to Iran’s Ayatollah over Houthi attacks: live updates

    Trump’s chilling new warning to Iran’s Ayatollah over Houthi attacks: live updates

    Is this REALLY the new leader of the resistance? SCOTT JENNINGS reveals the laughable reason why Democrats are more hated than they’ve been in nearly four decades!

    Is this REALLY the new leader of the resistance? SCOTT JENNINGS reveals the laughable reason why Democrats are more hated than they’ve been in nearly four decades!

    Can Trump actually void Biden pardons? Legal experts weigh in on the president’s shock move

    Can Trump actually void Biden pardons? Legal experts weigh in on the president’s shock move

    Last Battle of Britain pilot dies aged 105: John ‘Paddy’ Hemingway was shot down four times and survived a plane crash. Now tributes pour in as his death draws to a close our ‘finest hour’

    Last Battle of Britain pilot dies aged 105: John ‘Paddy’ Hemingway was shot down four times and survived a plane crash. Now tributes pour in as his death draws to a close our ‘finest hour’