Seven’s bid to gag the media over ‘salacious’ emails in blockbuster legal row

The Seven Network is seeking to suppress ‘salacious’ emails included in a workplace compensation claim made by one of its former television journalists.

Amelia Saw has filed a statement of claim against Seven in the Federal Court alleging she experienced a ‘hostile working environment’ while working on the Spotlight program.

On Friday, Seven sought to have parts of that claim suppressed from publication. 

Barrister Kate Eastman SC, for the network, said making the document public before  court-ordered mediation might impact the prospects of settling the case. 

The suppression order would also apply to an amended statement of claim which the court heard contained ‘large slabs’ of potentially ‘salacious communications’. 

Saw filed her action last month under the Fair Work Act, alleging Seven’s flagship current affairs program created a hostile working environment for women. 

Justice Nye Perram has previously ordered Saw and Seven engage in mediation next month.

Ms Eastman said on Friday that Saw had a ‘right to be heard’ but releasing her full claim before mediation would put Seven in an ‘extremely difficult position’ and result in ‘one-sided’ media commentary. 

The Seven Network is seeking to suppress ‘salacious’ emails included in a workplace compensation claim made by one of its former journalists. Amelia Saw Saw worked for Spotlight in 2002 and her claim is understood to name several high-profile Seven employees

Saw’s barrister Philip Boncardo opposed the suppression bid, arguing it was an ‘extraordinary and unprecedented application’.

Mr Boncardo said Seven had already publicly denied his client’s claim had merit and was seeking to keep its details secret to avoid embarrassment. 

After Saw launched her claim a Seven spokesman said: ‘Seven Network strongly and categorically rejects the allegations by Amelia Saw as reported by media today.’

When Justice Perram asked Mr Boncardo why Saw wanted her claim made public he said there was no ‘strategic benefit’ but the suppression order was unnecessary.

Mr Boncardo said while some of the relevant material might not be advantageous to Saw, the network contended it could be ‘humiliating, demeaning, embarrassing’ to Seven.

‘All that is going to be publicised is allegations,’ Mr Boncardo said. 

‘[We are] confident that the public understands the distinction between a mere allegation and a finding of fact.’

Justice Perram reserved his judgement. 

Spotlight’s reputation was first tarnished when producer Taylor Auerbach claimed Bruce Lehrmann had been supplied with drugs and prostitutes in exchange for his bombshell exclusive interview about Brittany Higgins’ rape allegations

Saw worked for Spotlight for about a year in 2022 and her claim is understood to name several high-profile Seven journalists. Seven is yet to file a defence to her claim.

Saw’s legal action comes off the back of a tough year for Seven and the Spotlight program.

Its reputation was tarnished when producer Taylor Auerbach claimed Bruce Lehrmann was supplied with drugs and prostitutes in exchange for  giving a bombshell exclusive interview about Brittany Higgins’ rape allegations.

Spotlight’s executive producer Mark Llewellyn eventually resigned from the network, though both he and Seven denied Lehrmann’s claims.

Llewellyn was not alleged to have supplied the drugs or prostitutes.

More recently, veteran reporter Robert Ovadia was sacked after Seven said in court that allegations of inappropriate conduct had been made against him.

Ovadia then commenced proceedings against Seven for wrongful dismissal but later dropped his legal action due to the cost and ’emotional toll’ involved.

The network’s problems were compounded when ABC’s investigative Four Corners program delved into Seven’s culture.

Female employees described it as a ‘toxic’ and ‘soul-crushing’ work environment.

Veteran reporter Robert Ovadia was sacked after Seven said in court allegations of inappropriate conduct had been made against him. Ovadia denied the claims

One journalist claimed she jumped in front of a moving car after being left with ‘crippling’ anxiety, while another labelled Seven one of the most ‘degrading’ workplaces.

Former Channel Seven newsreader Sharyn Ghidella was one of 150 Seven West Media staff made redundant in July,

She watched the Four Corners investigation and admitted she had seen problematic behaviour during her 17 years at the network.

‘I did watch it, it was information that I already sort of knew about,’ she said.

Revelations from the investigation prompted an apology from CEO Jeff Howard.

‘If any of the issues they call out weren’t appropriately addressed, that disappoints me; we should have done better, and for that I’m sorry to those affected,’ he wrote.

Mr Howard said management at Seven are reviewing workplace policies and culture about some of the issues raised at the network.

‘A number of people who have displayed behaviour not reflective of SWM’s values have already been removed from the organisation,’ he wrote.

‘I want to be really clear that the actions of some individuals do not reflect the values, behaviour and attitude of the business as a whole, which is home to some of the best, hardest working and most passionate media professionals in Australia.’

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Nexstar Media Group buying Tegna in deal worth $6.2 billion

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    Social media erupts in memes as Donald Trump and Elon Musk’s break up stuns the world

    Social media erupted following the dramatic break up between Donald Trump and Elon Musk as the two billionaires stunned the world with their feud. The internet made the billionaires the punchline…

    You Missed

    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Arrival of 600 new migrants on flotilla of mega-dinghies and inflatables shatters Labour’s claim to be getting a grip on the small boats crisis

    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Two killed and multiple injured in mass shooting at Brown University as Ivy League campus is plunged into lockdown and students are warned to ‘RUN’ or ‘FIGHT’ while police hunt gunman

    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Mass shooting sparks chaos at Brown University campus as mom reveals terrified text from son as students are urged to stay inside

    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Parents’ fury after booking trips to Santa’s home in Lapland with travel giant TUI… only to find they’re in a Finnish town 300 miles away

    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Trump offers prayers for victims after Brown University shooting as campus remains locked down

    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen

    • By poster
    • February 18, 2026
    • 1 views
    Andrew STILL can’t escape the shadow of Jeffrey Epstein: New photos from paedophile’s records also feature two US presidents and Woody Allen