Trump backs his Pentagon chief nominee Pete Hegseth as controversies mount

The US president-elect stands by his pick for defense secretary despite scandal and allegations of misconduct.

United States President-elect Donald Trump has voiced support for Pete Hegseth, his embattled pick for Pentagon chief, whose nomination appears in peril amid scandals and concerns about his lack of experience.

Trump signalled on Friday that he does not intend to withdraw Hegseth’s nomination, heaping praise on the combat veteran and former Fox News host. As Trump’s pick to be secretary of defense, Hegseth, like other top cabinet picks, needs to be confirmed by the incoming Senate.

“Pete Hegseth is doing very well. His support is strong and deep, much more so than the Fake News would have you believe. He was a great student — Princeton/Harvard educated — with a Military state of mind,” Trump wrote in a social media post.

“He will be a fantastic, high energy, Secretary of Defense Defense, one who leads with charisma and skill. Pete is a WINNER, and there is nothing that can be done to change that!!!”

Hegseth — an Iran hawk — has been beset by controversy since Trump nominated him last month. He continues to face allegations of sexual misconduct and excessive drinking, which he has denied.

Some US media outlets reported this week that Trump was considering alternatives to Hegseth.

Scandals have already taken down another Trump cabinet pick: former Congressman Matt Gatz, who withdrew his nomination for attorney general last month amid allegations of sexual impropriety.

The nomination of Hegseth, who is a staunch supporter of Israel, to be the top civilian authority at the Pentagon, overseeing the world’s most powerful military with an annual budget of $850bn, raised eyebrows early on.

While Hegseth previously led the advocacy group Concerned Veterans for America, he has no executive-level national security experience.

On Friday, Hegseth expressed gratitude for Trump’s support. “Thank you Mr. President. Like you, we will never back down,” he wrote in a social media post.

Incoming Vice President JD Vance also paid a nod to Hegseth. “Led by President Trump, we’re fighting for Pete Hegseth. And we’re doing so because Pete Hegseth will fight for our troops,” Vance said in a post on X.

Hegseth has been meeting with senators on Capitol Hill this week to address their concerns and reiterate that he denies reports of misconduct.

Key Republican Senator Joni Ernst suggested in an interview with Fox News that she is not yet ready to confirm Hegseth after meeting with him this week.

Last week, the magazine The New Yorker published a damning report on Hegseth’s controversies. It cited complaints from Concerned Veterans for America employees, one of whom claimed that Hegseth drunkenly chanted “Kill all Muslims” at a bar in Ohio in 2015.

The allegations prompted the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) to call on senators to reject the nomination of Hegseth.

“Based on his current views and past actions, it is clear Mr. Hegseth is totally inappropriate as a nominee for secretary of defense,” CAIR’s executive director, Nihad Awad, said in a statement.

“Anyone who — even in a drunken state — would call for the slaughter of all members of a faith has disqualified himself from holding an important position that would inevitably interact with representatives of Muslim-majority nations.”

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump unleashes on Democrats for letting Haitian migrant accused of brutal killing of Florida mom into US as he shares shocking attack video

    President Donald Trump unleashed on Democrats as he shared a horrific video of an illegal immigrant beating a woman to death with a hammer outside a gas station. Rolbert Joachin, 40,…

    Trump gives Iran new two-day ultimatum as ceasefire holds steady amid blockade… and he surges more US troops into Middle East

    Donald Trump has imposed a 48-hour deadline to bring the war with Iran to an end even as the Pentagon surges thousands of fresh troops to the Middle East. The President said…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii